So I'm prewriting this feature for the first time ever as rumour has it next week we're going to be sans internet! Modern day "quelle horreur" I know! Who doesn't have the interwebz nowadays. I tried converting my iPhone into a modem earlier in the week and was less than impressed with the results, it was all rather reminiscent of AOL's dial up internet connection circa 1997, where you used to get screamed at by the telephone line before you could surf the web, always typing - as Grimmy pointed out this week on his show - exact web addresses "http://" included. I also tried living without the web for 12 hours or so, whilst trying to do work, and I am afraid to say (a little shamefacedly actually) the paperback versions of the dictionary and thesaurus suck in comparison to their web alternatives. Thumbing through hundreds of pages for a super-long word, with a questionable spelling actually borders on ridiculous. Convenience has well and truly infiltrated my life. Anyway, on with the tracks, it's a subdued, chilled out, mojito drinking mix I think this week full of tracks that I've actually played nigh-on a hundred times this past week. Hope you enjoy them as much as I have.
Kyla La Grange - Vampire Smile: If I hadn't rammed Kyla La Grange down everyone's throats enough on here, here's another dose. I'll keep this brief, having only written about her a handful of days ago, but I just can't stop playing this song. In fact, probably like a 1000 of the Youtube plays are just me, sat there, hitting refresh, because I'm sad like that when I fall in love with a song. I think it's the contrast of Kyla La Grange's soft, folksy voice with these utterly violent and dark clouded yet double-entendred lyrics, "I want a scar that looks just like you" And when she sing's "it's beautiful" my spine shivers. I need to see her live.
Lykke Li - Tonight: Lykke Li is a modern day genius; with a bewitchingly intoxicating voice, an arousing, almost arresting sound and two phenomenal albums behind her. This song is an oldie but a goodie. And probably catches all the lusting for Winter I have perfectly, oh to be cuddled up with someone you love, le sigh! Plus the video for this track is absolutely beautiful, perfectly fitting, yet so simple and minimalistic. I could, and have, watched it dozens of times. The only problem is you can't listen to this song whilst in a fragile state of mind, as you will break down and cry, as I remembered only too well last week.
Tribes - Nightdriving: Again, another band I've mentioned before on here, but Camden originating Tribes are speaking volumes to me right now. Everything from the simple yet so catchy guitar strumming, to the gorgeous vocals Johnny Lloyd provides, to the perfect lyrics, to the additional religious ceremony backing is just stunning. I've heard a lot of hype around Tribes being the new Nirvana, and whilst their tracks are emotionally arresting and brimming with angst enough, I actually hear more of an Oasis, Mystery Jets or The Kooks vibe, than a Nirvana one.
Yuksek - On A Train (ALB cover): On the paltry viewed Youtube video for this track someone has left a comment stating "So beautiful and relaxing. I could listen to this all my life" and whomever they may be, they are so correct. I think I mentioned the original version of this track months back, because quite frankly French Yuksek is kicking up a bit of a storm right now, with a number of highly profiled remixes and much discussed DJ sets (SGP I'm looking at you) setting the benchmark high for the new album 'Living On The Edge Of Time.' However, this version, taken from the 'On A Train' EP is just a gorgeously atmospheric track.
Austra - The Noise: Katie Stelmanis' classically trained operatic voice becomes a tour de force here with sparse beats framing her vocals exquisitely. Taken from the recently released album 'Feel It Break' this record has a touch of Florence Welch's drama to it; yet embodies Austra's peculiar fusion of dance and classical music perfectly, creating a dark, creepy and quirky track; that possibly even channels Kate Bush and Bjork.
Washed Out - Wicked Games: Less than a week after alluding to my Chris Isaak 'Wicked Games' love someone goes and covers it! With that someone being rising star, Washed Out, whose album has been released to positive (if at times shaky) reviews recently. Washed Out's sound usually conjures up thoughts of surf, spray and sun rather than dark rooms and big beds, but in 'Wicked Games' a darker, more seductive sound hinted at in 'You and I' is emphasised. It's probably a bit of an opinion divider, but I personally love it, I think it's a more youthful, carefree version of Chris Isaak's more sophisticated and seductive original.
I Crave Paris - Aeroplane vs Friendly Fires vs Flight Facilities: Recently been reminded of this song after posting the original Aeroplane remix of Friendly Fires' 'Paris' on Facebook last week, because lets face it, I never will get bored of listening to that "One day we're gonna live in Paris" line. Now I can't stop listening to this track, I don't know how it happened, but I think I'm getting close to a three figure 'plays' tally on iTunes! Summer romance in a track.
Jamie xx - Far Nearer: With hints of Tensnake's 'Coma Cat' at times it's no wonder that Jamie xx's steel drum infused record is becoming somewhat of a Summer anthem, played from beach to muddy festival tent. I mentioned succumbing to a steel drums set at Parklife and have found it almost impossible to escape their crushing Caribbean vibes since. I can imagine all too clearly frolics on Bora Bora, Coronas in the coolbox and this jangling away. Jamie xx is this generations DJ extraordinaire.
Dionne Reid - Daddy Dear: Following in the footsteps of Rihanna's Caribbean influenced 'Man Down' Dionne Reid channels her parents Jamaican roots in this record. Adding in her own London attitude. The result is a casual Summery record, showing Dionne's colourful tapestry and breadth of musical influences. Her vocals are as sweet as the lyrics yet hint at a hidden power that hasn't been showcased to the full in this breezy track, as this song is pure laid back, relaxing with a cocktail music, with the barbecue sizzling away in the background.
Little Dragon - Ritual Union (Tensnake remix): Little Dragon and Tensnake are two of the most discussed names in the music industry at the moment. Following the aptly named collaboration with SBTRKT on 'Wildfire' which spread across the internet just like its name suggests, Little Dragon's latest album 'Ritual Union' has been much anticipated post a two year absence from the industry. The result is being widely fawned over, full of Summery forays, as this Tensnake remix demonstrates. Simple Summery listening.
Javeon McCarthy - Love Without A Heart: I've aforementioned my love for Javeon McCarthy's work before, a sensuous straddling of modernism minimalistic dance, old school R&B vibes and soul, and I'm actually surprised at the lack of Radio play for both this and his collaboration with Julio Bashmore, to me if fits into the Radio One playlist so perfectly. A Summery easy breezy record, that's as smooth and laidback as the singer himself.
The Good Natured - Wolves: To me, The Good Natured have a Joy Formidable on acid feel to them. With Sarah McIntosh possessing the ability to soundtrack a multitude of Summers, with her sweet vocals supported by upbeat synths that leave you almost capable of feeling the sun bouncing off your skin as you listen to her. I imagine she'll go down beautifully at V Festival.
Big Talk - Getaways: Brandon Flowers set the precedent high as his first solo project bereft from The Killers saw him launch into creating videos with Charlize Theron, selling out a debuting solo tour and topping the album charts with 'Flamingo.' However, for me, Ronnie Vannucci's solo project is almost as good, although I'll admit now I may be slightly biased. The Killers are one of my favourite bands of all time - big statement from me - and it actually killed (unintentional puns) me missing their Hyde Park gig, I was kinda praying for a Glastonbury stint. Big Talk has been met with controversial reviews in the press, with the Guardian only warranting the album with two stars! But 'Getaways' definitely feels like it could be a record from one of The Killers own albums, capturing their roadtrip easiness and their famed synths perfectly.
Coastal Cities - Night School: Stumbling across Coastal Cities on Youtube I know little about them at present, other than that this is a track lifted from their 'Transgression' EP and that they sound akin to a ska Arctic Monkeys, Dananananaykroyd with hints of Foals and The Cults. This is a high energy, catchy track that I can imagine being superb live, although possibly culminating in a moshpit. Eek!
Summer Camp - Better Off Without You: For those thinking that my Summer Camp session had subsided I'm sorry you were wrong, it's back, with a vengeance, because I LOVE their new track. It's like a more indie, realistic, darker version of Beyonce's 'Best Thing I Never Had' but just as catchy and as good for dusting off your vocal chords and singing loud, proud and rather liberally along to. Summer Camp are one of the strongest bands around at the moment in my opinion, they're yet to release a record I haven't fallen completely and utterly in love with.
Laura Marling - Ghosts: Off the back of her gorgeous Glastonbury performance and the launch of her impending Cathedral tour I've been listening to a lot of Laura Marling, whose new single 'Sophia' was debuted on Zane Lowe's show just last week. I love how these astonishingly moving and powerful vocals emerge from this teeny tiny pretty unsuspecting frame. She's so enchanting and 'Ghosts' is one of my favourite records to listen to, no matter what the weather.
Ed Sheeran - Small Bump: Another Youtube video where I feel I may be responsible for a large portion of the viewing figures. Ed Sheeran is one of my favourites at the moment; an extraordinary songwriter which I think 'You Need Me I Don't Need You' is a testament to, who seems so relatable and sweet (oh hey ustream videos) and gorgeous live. I want Glastonbury back, with his beautiful acoustic guitar playing and insightful anecdotes about songs. Following Glastonbury I've listened to 'Small Bump' a lot. It's pretty beautiful, and I can only imagine how much it means to a lot of people, I love the extent to which Ed Sheeran is willing to broach controversial subjects, turning the ugly and heartbreaking into something gorgeous and insightful.
Alexander - Glimpses: My overwhelming opinion of Alexander Ebert is just wow. I think I may have finally found a singer to rival the vocal and lyrical beauty of Ray LaMontagne! 'Glimpses' is a raw, completely heavenly divulge into Alexander's gripping voice and instantaneously puts him up there with the greats. A track taken from his self-titled album that dips in and out of folk effortlessly, it is clear Alexander is just doing his own thing rather well. The entirely stripped back and beautiful version of this record is incredible. I think it would be pretty impossible to listen and not fall in love.

