Spent the day doing work in the garden, which surprisingly really doesn't feel like doing work. Especially when Pimms and bagels are on the menu and the ice cream mans jingle is your background music. So I thought I'd try a different layout for this weeks music, and try and limit myself on the tracks front - I always get carried away. I'm feeling really happy of late, I think I've just gained some perspective in the light of recent news broadcasts. I'm excited for August; with Pukkelpop, trips to London to check out THE McQueen dress and a few roadtrips in the pipeline. Hope you're all making the most of the vague British sunshine we're having.
Robyn - Call Your Girlfriend: I honestly think Robyn is one of the most talented female musicians in the pop charts today; she has a work ethic and a real ear for music that most people lack emphasised by her ability to release three albums in 2010. This track just gets better the more you listen to it, maybe made even more entertaining by Greg James' latest homage. I find myself singing this at least once a day at the moment, particularly following her sparkling Lovebox set. She's in Manchester on the 8th September and I'm gutted I can't go; even though she's performing at Bestival!
Amy Winehouse - Tears Dry On Their Own: I couldn't really do a playlist this week without a nod to the great Amy Winehouse; it's deeply saddening the extent to which people have made horrific comments and mindless Facebook groups over the past 24 hours. Addiction is a serious, uncontrollable problem as Russell Brand so movingly conveys here and people's inability to understand or sympathise with this even in death may have contributed to what happened happening. The death of Amy Winehouse is a terrible event that's left a gap in the music industry; her raw talent, jazz infused voice and 'F-you' attitude is irreplaceable and in years to come it is what she will be remembered for above all else. This is one of my favourite Amy tracks and I just wish I'd got the chance to see her perform live.
Kanye West & Jay Z - Otis: It is probably because of the curve Amy Winehouse cut into the music industry with her heavy jazz club vocals and hark back to Motown that has led to modern artists sampling the great musicians of yesteryear. This track, sampling Otis Redding's 'It's Too Late' is genius whether surprisingly or unsurprisingly. Personally, I think pretty much everything Kanye West touches turns to gold and this work with Jay Z has added a glimmer of hope to Jay Z's disappointing 'The Blueprint 3'. I can't wait to hear the whole album, released August 1st, and hopefully see them live, fingers crossed for a UK tour following their Autumn US domination.
The Weeknd - Wicked Games: Rather unsurprisingly for a song documenting cheating and escapades with strippers this song is ridiculously erotic; when '#babymaking' music was trending on Twitter over the weekend this is the track I immediately conjured up. Abel Tesfaye's voice is absolutely sublime and the sparse, hollow beats resonate gorgeously. Rather cleverly the song channels the same sexy vibes as Chris Isaac's 'Wicked Games' which is often included on the list for top lovemaking tunes. Whilst there's copious amounts of swearing, the lyrics are a dazzling array of talent. I can't believe big things haven't happened yet for The Weeknd, but with Drake backing him I'm sure he's destined for greatness.
Vince Kidd - Girls And Boys With Tattoos: Vince Kidd is a relatively new discovery for me, having stumbled across him on Youtube only about a month back, but I'm already completely in love. I don't know much about him, as his fan base appears to be relatively small but his voice is absolutely stunning, his look really individualistic and his music absolutely heavenly. A Londoner with a smooth, emotive voice, I can already envision a collaboration with Lana del Rey. I've had this song on repeat since I heard it, I suspect he may channel Plan B in his ability to try his hand to a whole host of genres and lyrical inspirations. For now, his grimy jazz soul is just perfect.
Diagrams - Night All Night: I heard of Diagrams for the first time on Rob Da Bank's early morning show, they suit that time of day perfectly, this is the music for a sunrise. There is something earthly and warming about Diagrams self-entitled EP, it kind of sounds like how dappled sun feels like on your skin. To me this record has glints of Elbow and Kasabian to it, but in a muted sense. This isn't stadium rock, this is a firepit barbecue or lounging in the park soundtrack. The song is infectious, and you find yourself humming along to it like an old folk tune. For Diagrams immediately have a welcoming familiarity to them that makes their music almost endearing, like a modern day lullaby.
Tribes - Coming Of Age: The short version - I completely and utterly love Tribes. The long version - Tribes are a new band channeling old bands. They have all the swagger, talent and attitude of the rock indie bands of old and are just as charming. This track is as catchy as it is gorgeous, as addictive as it is relatable. Capturing a youthfulness, a playfulness and a spirit in their music that many bands only wish they had, I'm anticipating big things for Tribes who are currently dominating the festival scene with a recent set at Secret Garden Party. They have something of The Mystery Jets and The Kooks about them, but in Coming Of Age they are able to juxtapose their naivety and eagerness with a sophistication and sadness that is just gorgeously effective.
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - The Death Of You And Me: Despite the strange band name Noel Gallagher's first independent foray is instantaneously special; whilst it may not be wholly worth the long wait it is definitely Oasis Part Two. Causing Beady Eye to pale in comparison. With recollections to 'The Importance Of Being Idle' Noel does what he does best and provides languidly Northern vocals on a guitar strumming track. The video's definitely worth a look, I love the nomadic vibes contrasted with the diner setting and it emphasises the traveller, bizarre, almost circus feel of the song demonstrating that Noel is nothing if not a performer.
Friendly Fires - The Edge Of Glory: Friendly Fires in the Live Lounge kind of made my day the other week, particularly as they discussed their curation of a whole stage at Bestival, which I am unbelievably excited to experience. Their cover of Lady Gaga's 'The Edge Of Glory' is perfect, with Ed's vocals adding a sweetness, sincerity and innocence to the track that I don't think Lady Gaga's jazzed up version has. The song is softened, the track given a Friendly Fires sparkly feel and it kind of transformed itself from a more night time club feel to a day time, sunshine showered track, perfect for days like today actually.
The Horrors - Wild Eyed: Taken from their stunning album 'Skying,' 'Wild Eyed' is one of my favourite tracks. The Horrors have long been dazzling audiences in their energetic, indulgent live shows but this album has lifted them to another level. Perfect for a Summers day driving with the roof down, 'Wild Eyed' is another track thats synth glitters like sun rays, completely reinforcing the chilled, carefree, romanticism of the album itself. The song has that hazy dazed Summer romance feel about it, it carries with it the scent of smashing waves and freshly mown grass, it has a glittering aura elated feel about it, and is all together just beautiful and wholly happy.
Teen Daze - The Harvest: The last time I featured Teen Daze on here they got such a positive response that was so lovely to hear, I love how romantic and Summery, gentle and whimsical Teen Daze are, fully living up to their name. Their songs sound like lustful teenage wishes. This is a more sombre track, with a dark Summer Camp undercurrent added to their Washed Out, Mount Kimbie-esque feel. I think Teen Daze are the ultimate beach music. If I'd gone to Benicassim, this is the laidback listening I would have adored to have spend the afternoons dwindling away to.
The Drums - Money: Brooklyn Indie stars The Drums have returned with a brilliant Summer injected track, with an energetic drum beat, a Morrisey sounding introduction and romantic lyrics the song is sure to be a hit, already racking up the radio play on Radio One. With their electric stage presence and their catchy lyrics The Drums have a firm place in many hearts after their Top 20 success of their self - titled 2010 album, but I am loving the upbeat new tracks. 'Money' is a great precursor for their new album, to be launched 12th September.
Gypsy & The Cat - Jona Vark: A relatively oldie now, but such a goodie! It's a well known fact I adore songs that kindle those Americana road trip vibes, and with a sun soaked video and guitar ridden opening this track does just that. Plus whilst it's not particularly sophisticated, it's unbelievably catchy, it's the kind of track that infiltrates its way into your brain for days; that you hear once and then find yourself humming in the supermarket or letting rip in the shower. Formed in Melbourne I don't think Gyspy & The Cat have had much success in the UK yet, although with the likes of Foster The People breaking through I'm sure it won't be long before Gyspy & The Cat's Summery indie pop dominates the charts.
The Kills - Last Day Of Magic: I really haven't been able to get enough of The Kills since seeing them at first Evolution, then at Glastonbury. There is just something about them that is absolutely electric, plus Alison Mosshart is phenomenal. 'Last Day Of Magic' is one of my favourite tracks of theirs, I just love the lyrics. I can't wait to see what their next move is musically post Jamie Hince and Kate Moss' marriage.

