Burnt


Hey lovelies, having spent the past week poorly sick in bed I've been tucked up in a pile of blankets mostly indulging in way too many episodes of The Real Housewives of Atlanta/New Jersey/New York and wishing I could be somewhere (possibly anywhere) else, hence thinking I'd share some of the places I most want to travel to on here. Without going into too much detail on here as I like to keep this place (for the most part) full of positivity it's been a tragic news week worldwide; where the evils of the world have really been on full show and the talent of not just one individual but the life and light of tens of young potentials has been lost, so I thought everyone might enjoy a touch of escapism....

This is probably going to be a running series; I was well and truly bitten by the travel bug a few years ago when I realised just how true it was that we aren't here for a long time, but we're here for a good time. Trying to experience everything the world has to offer definitely quantifies itself as a good time for me. We remember a life not by its minutes but its moments. Consequently I've left the Americas, probably the area I most want to explore, off the list and made a more broader introductory cross-section of places I want to experience. I'd love to know where you want to travel to.


I don't just want to go to India to create the acclaimed Diana shot I promise, I think it appears to be a place brimming with colour, vivaciousness and inspiration. I love the look of bustling bazaars, the tranquility of the Taj Mahal; the overall multidimensional and multifaceted nature of India. I can only imagine how gorgeous the food will be, how intoxicating the smells of the spices and how seductive the glamour of Bollywood. India has a vitality and a spiritual nature to it that is entirely intrinsic to the country and that I can imagine being a truly enlightening experience. 


Unashamedly Metronomy's poignantly titled album 'The English Riviera' has brought alive the charm of the British Summer; something that is not too far from my heart having grown up in a British seaside town and worked in a Art Deco hotel that is the epitome of the faded glamour of the British holiday - I mean Coco Chanel once stayed there; sadly Karl Lagerfield hasn't! I think we get so easily seduced by the sunshine, the budget airlines, the package holidays and the English imposition on Spanish, Greek and French towns that we forget sometimes just what England has to offer. When the weather holds beachy British sunsets rival their Ibizan counterparts, Cornish clotted cream ice cream is the best you'll ever taste and afternoon tea and picnics are an unrivalled English tradition. So this Summer I'm hoping at some point I can find a faintly sunny weekend, slip on a tea dress, hop into the car with Marks & Spencers sandwiches and a picnic blanket and imagine I'm in this music video.


I've always been fascinated by Berlin, hello subject of my A-Level History paper! Since then my concentration has progressed to not just being a interest in its historic and political foundations but its renowned and revolutionary dance scene. I've spent many a night wishing I could go to Berghain (THE rather formidable and almost impenetrable dance club) and have planned many a mini-break here, none of which have yet come to fruition. I think expensive flights have often been the downfall here, but I'm hoping to change this by the time the year's out. Panoramabar here I come!


Thailand has become somewhat of THE destination for backpackers in recent years, largely due to its affordability and its offering of everything one would need from a 'trip to find yourself' - sun, sea, sights and likeminded individuals aplenty. Yes, there's the Full Moon parties, the Bridget Jones featured magic mushroom pizzas, the notorious bargain buckets of cocktails but I think all that kind of fades in comparison to the astonishing natural beauty there and the experience of the wildlife there. What always stands out for me on people's albums of Thailand is their physical closeness to lions, tigers, leopards and monkeys. Buckets of cocktails you can get anywhere; that nearness to such exotic animals is almost impossible anywhere else. 


I've wanted to go to St Petersburg avidly for probably a decade now, if somebody asked me to choose a destination to travel to tomorrow with money being no object St Petersburg would probably win. Whilst the vodka and fur hats are always a plus, I would love to experience the white nights, see the many bridges, stroll through the many parks and peruse the many galleries. I can honestly say I'm already in love with St Petersburg without never even stepping a foot on the soil because of a book. Paullina Simons' Tatiana and Alexander trilogy became the catalyst; 'The Bronze Horseman' built up inside of me such a torrential spectrum of emotions for the city - love, hate, sadness... it feels like somewhere I now know. I definitely suggest reading 'The Bronze Horseman,' an incredible book that walks you through St Peterbsurg via the protagonist in such a relatable way you feel as if it is the city you've grown up in. Whilst in reality a coffee may cost close to £10 in St Petersburg I think there is something sensuous, historic and romantic about the one time capital city that managed to survive Hitler's force, its inhabitants really have lost and loved to a phenomenal extent. I would love to stay in the Astoria hotel and visit St Isaacs and see the Winter Palace. Aah!


It's a testament to what I have both seen and read about this city that I was willing to apply to Melbourne University without ever venturing to the city itself. Sadly, due to funds it's unlikely I'd ever make the dream of studying there a reality, despite their English program being astounding and their Universities being undoubtedly well-respected yet underestimated. A plethora of culture and the integration of the beauty of nature with the practicality of mankind is what stands out for me. I think it would be a gorgeous city to live in; that seems to be growing in all aspects, be it fashion, music or art. There is a booming economy, connections to Asia and a sunny disposition that makes Melbourne seem so appealing to reside in, never mind just holiday there. 


Many moons ago now my parents got married in Jamiaca, in a beach side wedding at a five star resort. Since being a little child I've long bored over their wedding photos; waterfalls, cocktails, palm trees, hawaiian print, turtles and seashells aplenty. It seems like such a gorgeously tranquil place, with a defined culture and an astounding atmosphere. I'd love to see the place where my parents got married for myself and explore the historical and political nature of the island more in person.


Travelling to Tanzania, experiencing the wildlife parks and going on safari has long been on my wishlist. I'm a huge animal lover and my friend (who has a keen interest in animal photography) and I have much discussed travelling here; is there anything more special and humbling than seeing creatures in their natural habitats? The beauty of the Serengeti is astounding, the conservation of the area is fundamental and the local experience is unparalleled. From climbing mountains, to lazing on beaches, to staying in eco lodges, to studying animals firsthand - the overall sense of travelling to Tanzania is being at one with nature in its purest form. Plus, I'm yet to encounter somebody who has been there and not become completely enchanted with the people or the place. Despite the rather scary injections and great expense I hope it's something I can experience one day.


The new city of lights Tokyo has a 24 hour buzz and bustle that has overtaken the most established of capitals in a phenomenally short space of time. It is a city that showcases how gorgeous manmade technology and architecture can be; with a stunning skyline of self-constructed stars dotting the peripheral. It is astonishing how many people reside in Tokyo and what an inspirational and vibrant culture exists there. For shopping, for food, for culture and for sheer modernism I long to travel here. I think it's a place where you'd feel as equally alive as you would equally lost and that astounds me.


I hate that I've never been to Rome. It appears so beautiful, so historic, so imposing. Delectable food, stunning people and a elegance and display of wealth through architecture and beauty. I've always had a deep interest in the history of religion and I'd love to go to Vatican City - although everyone I've actually spoke to whose been to Rome has never made it in, at least not first time round, due to improper dress! As if holiday packing wasn't hard enough! I love the presented culture of Italy; heavily founded on family and tradition. Their strict unspoken rules, evidential in their coffee drinking and their respect for everything they have demonstrated through their religious relationships and their lengthy meals fascinates me and I can't wait to do a little tour of Italy. In my head this would be parallel a scene from an Audrey Hepburn film; all cocktail dresses, headscarves, oversized shades, handsome men and convertibles. When the reality will probably feature a inter-railing pass, a overstuffed rucksack and a lot of sweat, blood and tears! I feel Rome is a bit like Paris, it possesses a cultural romanticism - let's blame the Renaissance - that makes you dream you could wander around, basking in the greatness of it all, guide book in hand, a satchel full of literature and photography equipment, stopping for languid liquid lunches and to fall in love. Bliss.