So I feel like I've been away ages rather just a few days, I guess it shows just how fast the time goes! I'm on a major comedown after having a really great weekend, I totally have gig fever now though! Eek! Since a few people have asked me to do a post on Radio One's Big Weekend I'll definitely try and get a review up in the next few days, although I'm really regretting just how few pictures I took already. And those I did take are a little majorly stalkerish since the tents were tiny!
I'm also coming down with a cold - isn't that just the stereotypical post - wild night out syndrome?! Serves me right for raving in the rain! So today I've done nothing more than have a major sleep catch up, culminating in being woken up by a drenched puppy jumping up on my bed! Lovely! And listening to Friendly Fires and Mona's new album. On repeat. Because. Both. Are. AMAZING! You bet I have some Ed Macfarlane hip thrusting shots to share with you from the weekend!
So this week's playlist is a sort of mixture of artists I saw in Carlisle and some sort of jazz vibes as I've been kind of digging jazz of late. Mostly since I watched 'A Single Man' (review of this definitely coming soon too) and Hugh Laurie on Perspectives, so now I totally want to be in a club like this whilst looking like this.
'Crazy' - Gnarls Barkley: Do you remember when this song was just EVERYWHERE?! It was literally "crazy." It was the first song to reach number one purely by downloads and then it got majorly overplayed.... However since Cee Lo Green is making a total comeback - with bird feathers at the Grammys and all - I've started playing Gnarls Barkley's back catalogue again. I still love the Rorscharch Inkblot Test style video too.
'Back to Black' - Amy Winehouse: Apparently Amy Winehouse has promised to showcase new material at BBK Live in July which should be interesting. She's such a timeless artist with such a provocative voice it's been a shame that in the past her personal difficulties have overshadowed this. I have to admit I'm still a huge fan, her voice is just gorgeous. I love the juxtaposition of her fifties beehive with her tattoos, her hard hitting modern lyrics with her old-fashioned sound. There's definitely something about her that makes you feel as if you've transported to a 1950s jazz club even when you're just listening from the comfort of your living room.
'Tightrope' - Janelle Monae: I love everything about Janelle Monae from her beautiful androgynous with a twist outfits to her jazz inspired soul filled R&B records. Her songs are entirely diverse, emotive and cataclysmic and I can't wait to catch her at Glastonbury since all things suggest she is going to be huge.
'Starry Eyed' - Ellie Goulding: Ellie Goulding completely blew me away at Radio One's Big Weekend, not only did she look stunning but her voice just reverberated around the Main Stage beautifully. Plus it's quite possible that her and Greg James are one of the cutest couples EVER! Remixed by the likes of Jakwob and AN21 and Max Vangelli and having just played one of the biggest gigs around - Wills and Kate's royal wedding - I think Ellie's more than proven herself in the musical stakes. If not only by her ability to effortlessly flit from vocals, to drumming to playing the piano.
'Ready Or Not' - The Fugees: Ok so The Fugees haven't been around since the 90s but Grimmy dropped this in his and Annie's soundclash at the weekend and it went down a storm. It's a track everyone shamelessly knows the words to and can't help but yell and dance along to. Major love. I mean, apparently Obama even named it as one of his favourite songs in an interview!
'Finish Line' - Yasmin: So maybe with our names baring only one letter difference I'm slightly biased in my love for Yasmin but I just think she's absolutely stunning and her voice is so silky, modern and cool. Originally a DJ Yasmin clearly has an ear for music and production and with 'Finish Line' being produced by Labrinth I think it's just a great new record, which Yasmin accredits to kickstarting her career.
'Down With The Trumpets' - Rizzle Kicks: Confession, I am now obsessed with Rizzle Kicks. Brighton born Sylvester and Jordan parallel Tyler, The Creator in that everything from their lyrics to their production is just flawless. They managed to make the teeny tiny Introducing tent have such an electric atmosphere with their cheeky, energetic stage presence and I am yet to hear a single flawed song in their back catalogue. I desperately want to see a longer show from them. They are going to make the big time for sure.
'Ray Ban Vision' - A-Trak: Love this track. It's just killer. A-Trak is a genius, again, I think he's just a brilliantly talented DJ as THAT famed DMC's World DJ Championship video showed. Montreal born and now New York based I think he must be one of the most innately cool guys in music today as this track showcasing rappers on the brink of success demonstrates. It kills me that I've still never seen him DJ live!
'Cash and Carry Me Home' - Ghostpoet: I am in love with Ghostpoet at the moment, he's destined for great things. With one record after another showcasing his relaxed vocals, disjointed beats and catchy lyrics. Ghsostpoet's overall sound is nothing short of wholly melodic, utterly hypnotising, softly powerful. A favourite of Mike Skinner and championed by Zane Lowe I expect we'll all be hearing a lot more from London based Obaro Ejimiwe.
'Sandwitches' - Tyler, The Creator and Hodgy Beats: I know, at the moment the Odd Future collective are making it onto every playlist but they're just not going away, instead they're causing quite a stir with the press recently playing up spats between Tyler, B.O.B and Tegan and Sara. Offering a minimalistic sound juxtaposed with hard-hitting visceral lyrics 'Sandwitches' is yet another remarkable track from a BBC session.
'Too Close' - Alex Clare: Surprisingly I've not hard Alex Clare's name mentioned nearly enough considering his hybrid take on emotive dance heralds the style of artists such as James Blake and Katy B. His debut album has been produced by Diplo and Switch and contains a menage of tracks filled with juxtaposing angles and an amalgamation of genres to create a futuristic sound.
'Ain't Nobody - Clare Maguire (Breakage Remix): Right up there in that soulful dance hybrid catalogue is Clare Maguire in this track. The Guardian have listed her as a 'pop queen in waiting' and it's clear to see why with a voice that enables her to fluctuate from resembling Laura Marling's to Katy B's. Her voice is able to be entirely powerful whilst retaining emotion and she's gorgeous too!
'Do It Again' - Holy Ghost!: Holy Ghost may be one of the most talked about acts of the year, having previously taken on a series of successful remixes of tracks by MGMT, Moby and Cut Copy, the duos own debut album is a series of synth-high schizophrenic dance records. Featured on Kitsune and with a disco addictive sound resembling Hercules & Love Affair or Hot Chip they've already racked up tons of critical success. It's clear to see that they will probably be as long-lasting as their elementary friendship has been!
'The High Life' - Maya Jane Coles: Recently featured on a Mixmag's front cover and with the successful release of her EP 'Beat Faster' in January Maya Jane Coles appears to be cropping up everywhere with her relaxed tech house that is sure to find its way onto Defected at Pacha's dance floor. I'm pretty addicted, it's such easy Ibizan sunset style listening.
'Away' - Koreless: Koreless' music is just STUNNING. Glasgow based and only 19 years old Lewis Roberts is making some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard. Entirely dreamy, ambient and emotive, Koreless' records are being heavily heralded by Giles Peterson on Radio One and would be perfect for all those sunrise terraces across London. Check him out. He is a genius. The next Jamie xx.
'I'm New Here' - Gil Scott Heron & Jamie xx: I've mentioned before how much I love the 'We're New Here' album, this is yet another beautiful track off one of my favourite albums of the year (early statement but I know it's true). It's a gorgeously ambient masterpiece.
'Fear' - Ian Brown: Hello Ian Brown, doesn't 'Fear' just embody Summer festivals in a song. With that otherworldly hazy feel to it and catchy crowd connecting lyrics it's just an absolute tune. One that always reminds me of crowds humming along to it on the walk back to the festival site after seeing Ian Brown strut his stuff around the stage in his usual tracksuit and shades.
'She Said' - Plan B: Plan B always puts a great performance on a la The Brits, he was as great as always at Radio One's Big Weekend. I love his versatility, his suaveness and confidence. The big band soul filled sound he displays on 'The Defamation of Strickland Banks' is just such easy breezy listening.
'You Don't Know My Mind' - Hugh Laurie: Hugh Laurie's album is one of the most pre-ordered of all time, possibly because most people feel that after House whatever Hugh Laurie does will be good. I personally adore his blues filled sound, largely because it's clear he has such a deep passion and interest for it. His set on Jools Holland was just gorgeous.
'Bible Belt' - Dry The River: I've said how much I ADORE this so many times. Still not got old. Swoon. I think they're one of the most beautiful sounding indie bands I've heard recently with a stripped back rustic and naturalistic sound.
'Santa Monica Dream' - Angus & Julia Stone: Angus and Julia Stone are a brother and sister duo from Newport, Australia with such a lovely, light, pastoral inclined acoustic sound. They encapsulate that sweet Summery sound of falling in love or frolicking with friends so perfectly that their records are almost heartbreakingly gorgeous.
'Why Do You Let Me Stay Here' - She & Him: I've been a big fan of She & Him or Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward for quite some time now. I love their retro folk feel, their quirky videos and their melodic unusual sound. They're Springtime in musical form. Plus each song seems to fit so perfectly with their personalities.
'Midnight Surprise' - Lightspeed Champion: I saw Lightspeed Champion at Live At Leeds last year and completely fell in love with Devonte Hynes emotive, gravelly, alternative sound. In Jessie J style he's probably more famed for his songwriting than his own forays into music, having composed records for Florence and the Machine and The Chemical Brothers. In 2008 Hynes was named the 20th coolest person in rock in NMEs polls, which his music and dress sense fully showcases.
