Yes this picture is blurry, it was surprisingly hard to capture this sign. Damn crowds, be still!
Soooo I was super lucky and managed to get tickets to Radio One's Big Weekend in Carlisle. It's actually come about at such a good time; I really needed some good luck after feeling majorly down about a few things and going really made me realise just how much I want to work in the music/journalism industry! Now to make it happen! Eeek!
So outfit wise, I was in stereotypical festival attire - denim shorts and comfort and slightly warmth over style decision aztec print jumper (both Topshop). Glasses (American Apparel) Cross Earrings (Urban Outfitters) Blue Ring (Monica Vinader) Cross Ring (Regal Rose)
I have to admit the transportation issues once in Carlisle were ridiculous, queues for the buses provided by Radio One went right round the whole town centre and we waited in the taxi queue for almost an hour. The airport is usually about 20 minutes drive from Carlisle; but the country roads were completely roadblocked meaning we actually missed Arctic Monkeys set. I was pretty gutted, especially as I'd been telling everyone for days I knew it was going to be Arctic Monkeys! I hope I can catch them at some point over the Summer because I'm so impressed with Alex Turner's solo projects and their new album. When we got there we had a scour of the tents, Joy Formidable sounded AMAZING and according to a very enthusiastic bar tender we met later were. And got some drinks, Radio One sincerely disappointed in your lack of a cocktail tent. Haven't quite got used to drinking cider and wine mid-afternoon just yet! By the end of Summer I'll be a pro again though!
We then made our way to the teeny tiny outdoor stage to see Annie and Grimmy's soundclash, since they're my favourite Radio One DJs and all. Annie and Grimmy missed Arctic Monkeys too due to traffic, which I guess just emphasises how dire the traffic situation was, apparently they only arrived at the site fifteen minutes before their set! Eek! Grimmy opened with Jamie xx's remix of Adele's 'Rolling in the Deep' before a more hiphop/R&B vibe kicked in with Beyonce's 'Single Ladies' and Dizzee Rascal's 'Bonkers.' Everyone was definitely raving away in the rain, including Andy George side of stage and everyone was in high spirits (definitely helped by the fact it was being broadcast live on Radio One)! It was an enjoyable set, albeit a little more mainstream than expected, though I'm gutted the promised rap battle never took place! And a highlight was definitely The Fugees 'Ready Or Not' - shamefully LOVE.
We then caught a few songs of Cage The Elephant's set, so impressed with the emotion and intimacy they manage to channel on stage. Matthew Shultz left the stage to go running into the crowd on more than one occasion, and thrashed around the stage with a passion akin to Kurt Cobain. 'Shake Me Down' had all the crowd singing along and their American rock vibes are really emphasised in a live set. I'd definitely love to see them again.
Ellie Goulding was so impressive, her voice really resonated around the Main Stage tent and her ability to go from piano to drums to vocals is utterly astonishing live. She has a really dynamic stage presence and appears so passionate about music, she's kind of entrancing to watch. Her renditions of 'Starry Eyed' and 'Lights' were just the perfect blend of emotion and upbeat pop. Plus she looked bloody gorgeous too in a lovetits longsleeved mesh top and a pair of Bitching & Junkfood cross shorts that I now desperately want! She joked in a behind the scenes interview that she'd made them herself, seriously considering doing my own DIY job now they've sold out online. If I do I'll be sure to post it up here too.
I have to admit having seen Plan B live at V Festival I was slightly disappointed by this performance. He didn't have nearly enough time on stage, and kept his performance solely to tracks from 'The Defamation of Strickland Banks' whilst I would have loved some old school rap (YES, I WANTED CHARMAINE) to be thrown in there. With that being said, I love how suave Plan B and his band look on stage and when they start playing you really could be in a smoky jazz lounge as opposed to a cold tent in Carlisle!
Next up was Rizzle Kicks, I was super excited for seeing them live having been a massive fan for quite some time and they really didn't disappoint live. Their stage presence is just as fun, charming and modern as the production and sound of their records. They are going to be HUGE. I mean, they even had a pink bra on stage and hip wriggling that almost contended with Ed Macfarlane's! After watching them I'm even more convinced they should have been headlining the Introducing tent, particularly as their set clashed with Tinie Tempah's, who I could see many of their fan base being a fan of as well. Everyone should check them out HERE!!!!!
We saw Nero before Friendly Fires but honestly their set was that bad I'm not going to mention it, other than to say they can't mix and the descent into a moshpit was probably more out of boredom than due to enthusiasm for the music. Slightly scathing but true, I was really disappointed. Friendly Fires however were a total highlight of the day, but then again when are they not? I love it when you find a band who performs even better live than their music sounds on the radio, and Friendly Fires certainly do that. Ed manages to keep his voice entirely flawless and shake his hips in an absolutely winning combination. His dancing is so infectious and I seriously doubt there was anybody in the In New Music We Trust tent who wasn't dancing or at least smiling by the end of the set. 'Hawaiian Air' sounded amazing live, and 'Paris' has to be one of my favourite songs of all time. Friendly Fires really are like sunshine in musical form, and everyone who hasn't should get Pala ASAP because it is phenomenal! That's all!
Then we made our way over to Main Stage, when we got there Black Eyed Peas were still playing, I'm really not their biggest fan now although I LOVED their earlier 'Where Is The Love?' stuff. They definitely sounded better than at the Superbowl but given Will.I.Am making several remarks about 'London' and 'Newcastle' as opposed to Carlisle I was surprised at just how enthusiastic the crowd was. Fergie can really sing though, her vocals are stunning! There was a subsequent DJ set from Zane Lowe and then an amazingly exciting five minute countdown, that culminated in the whole tent doing the 10 second countdown. The Foos were amazing, they're so energetic, so passionate and so keen to play. Dave Grohl appears so cheeky and lovely with his sentiments that the Foos have over 100 songs and have been around for over sixteen years, so how could they possibly play for only one hour?! Swoon. The atmosphere was pretty amazing and the Foos certainly gave a performance to quantify their legendary status. We actually left before the end since transport was such an issue but I certainly wouldn't have done so unless we were seeing them at Pukkelpop in a few months. I can't wait to see them again, and I think in a similar manner to Fearne Cotton I really can't stop listening/watching them!
It was such a brilliant day, not even too rainy, and it's hard to believe that the event can have such a strong line up and be free! It really was the perfect start to a Summer filled with festivals! Eeee! On that note, I definitely need to get some or all of these tickets: Hop Farm, Lounge on the Farm, Secret Garden Party, Bestival. Which do you guys think?
