i'll try not to mention coachella

001 Hey lovelies, I hope you've had a gorgeous weekend. I haven't got much going on at the moment so don't have too much to talk about. I've spent most of my weekend wishing I was at Coachella, watching sports and wishing I was at Coachella, not being able to sleep and wishing I was at Coachella and reading in the garden and wishing I was at Coachella. DULL!
002 I've just finished Jodi Picoult's new book 'Sing You Home' and for once really struggled to read it as I just found it so hard to sympathise with one of the characters at first. I think it was purely because I don't think I'll ever be able to understand people who are religious but act in an ignorant and hateful manner to anybody who deviates from their personal beliefs and principles. I guess I just think being a good person should always be fundamental to anything else. I do love the way she takes such controversial topics though and really humanises them and plays with issues of morality so in the end all you're thinking is what would I do in that position?
003 I've also been watching a lot of episodes of Ellen DeGeneres' sitcom. (I'll tell you now I think Ellen's an absolutely amazing person. I was just saying to a friend last night that she'd be one of my dream dinner party guests. Does anyone else play that game of who you'd invite? Let me know who's on your list if you do! OK MAJORLY GONE OFF TOPIC HERE. BACK TO BUSINESS!). Ellen's sitcom kind of ties in with 'Sing You Home's' discussion of homosexuality. In fact Ellen's optioned the film version of the book and is producing it herself - can't wait to see what she does with it! I'd forgotten just how funny 'Ellen' was though and that Janice from 'Friends' was in it in the early days. Although I've never seen so much bleached denim in my life!
004 Oh I watched Scream 4 last night too! I love horror movies and do love the satirical approach the Scream franchise takes. It was so much better than the previous sequels, although the film definitely lost it's way in the middle, before redeeming itself with the ending. It was also really weird seeing so many familiar faces in it - i.e. Aria from 'Pretty Little Liars' and Annie from '90210', Hayden Panettiere was amazing though. She's so pretty!
005  I'm just settling down to listen to the radio now, I'm really missing my daily dose of Nick Grimshaw! Hurry back from California Grimmy! PLEASE!
006 Turns out I had WAY more to say than anticipated Ooops! So I'll shush and just get on with the post! I'm going to start some new features over the next few weeks and this is the first. As has probably become apparent I'm majorly into music and spend a lot of time going to gigs and festivals, reading all the music magazines, listening to the radio and podcasts and doing a lot of youtube and myspace clicking! I probably love music more than writing and fashion. Which is saying a lot! So I thought I'd start sharing mixtapes of some of my favourite songs of the week. So without further ado here's the first 'Mixtape Monday'! 


001 Tim & Jean 'I Can Show You' - This is just such a bouncy, summery, fun track. Every time I listen to it I want to go on a cross-country road trip. I dare you to watch the video and then try and tell me you don't feel the same way. 
002 The Naked and Famous 'Young Blood' - Same feeling as above really. It's just a song that makes you wish you were dancing to it at a festival, or frolicking to it at a beach. If Summer had a theme tune it would be this. 
003 Crystal Fighters 'Plage' - This is such a sweet, romantic song, and it's on the Matalan advert now too! So now I can't help but think of summer dresses whenever I listen to it! 
004 MGMT 'Kids' - Well what is there to say really?! Summer anthem. This track always makes me think of 2manyDJs at Benicassim, which was probably one of the best sets I've ever experienced. So much love.
005 Axwell & Dirty South 'Sweet Disposition' remix - Again, it's just one of those Summer anthems. Whenever I listen to this track I'm transported back to last Summer at Creamfields when Swedish House Mafia made the crowd get on the floor for this and jump up when the track kicked in. Swoon. 
006 Kings of Leon 'Bucket' - Caleb Followill's voice whilst driving through country roads with the roof down. Nothing says Summer's on it's way more. 
007 Tall Ships 'Plate Tectonics' - I think this is one of those songs that sound like they've been lifted from an episode of Skins. It makes me think of all day drinking sessions and drunken dancing. 
008 Metronomy 'The Look' - I love Metronomy at the moment. Their new album 'The English Riviera' is amazing. 
009 The Kooks 'Naive' - This is one of those tracks that conjures up memories of Summers past and always makes me think of the beach as every time I've seen The Kooks it's always been by the seaside! 010 The Strokes 'Under Cover of Darkness' - It's The Strokes. What else is there to say. Amazing. 
011 Mona 'Lines in the Sand' - I just love Mona, I know there's a lot of split opinions on them due to similarities with Kings of Leon but I think their songs are so beautiful they speak for their talent themselves. This is a rip from a Jools Holland performance and it's just gorgeous. 
012 Vampire Weekend 'Holiday' - Again hello memories of Benicassim! Vampire Weekend are such a summery band.
013 A-Trak 'Heads will Roll' remix - I will forever associate this song with Summer 2010. I think there was a point for about three months where every single DJ I saw dropped this track. I hope I can catch an A-Trak set at some point this Summer. 
014 Friendly Fires 'Live Those Days Tonight' - I can't possibly rhapsodise about my love for Ed anymore than I already have done on this blog. So I'll just say the new track is just as good as their old past discography and I WANT TO GO SEE THEM AT IBIZA ROCKS SO BAD!!!!! 
015 Miami Horror 'Holidays' - Miami Horror are one of my favourite bands at the moment. I like the retro feel to their songs and how they make me want to have a summer romance a la Sandy and Danny in Grease. 
016 Dom 'Living in America' - Dom were one of the SXSW buzz bands and I just adore this track. This is such a playful, tongue in cheek song, that definitely seems to be splitting everyone's opinions. Shamefully does make me want to go on an American roadtrip desperately though.

FINAL THOUGHT: NEXT YEAR I'LL GO TO COACHELLA!!!!