The second song is slightly more normal and slightly less food orientated; I've been singing along to The Killers 'Bones' the whole way through my organisation session today. I'm crazy in love with The Killers, so much so I don't even remember how many times I've seen them live now. It was whilst watching 'Bones' on Youtube that I realised the video (directed by the amazing Tim Burton) reminded me of Marchesa's Fall collection which I'd been looking at before I went to sleep last night. Marchesa are just a genius design team, they're always one of my favourite shows each season. I love the romanticism and elegance of their garments and I think it was this, coupled with their Fall theme of decaying opulence that reminded me of 'Bones.' Every garment from Marchesa's Fall collection could be lifted from the catwalk and envisioned on the heroine of a romantic tragedy - from the yellowing body clinging organza dress paralleling Waterhouse's 'The Lady of Shallot' painting to the purple tinged brocaded ballgowns reminiscent of the Corpse Bride. Reporters have been throwing the Great Expectations character 'Miss Havisham' around in excess when discussing Marchesa's collection. Synonymously, to me Marchesa echoed the ideas Carol Ann Duffy has in her poem 'Havisham' (GCSE English anyone?).
'Beloved sweetheart bastard. Not a day since then
I haven't wished him dead. Prayed for it
so hard I've dark green pebbles for eyes,
ropes on the back of my hands I could strangle with.
Spinster. I stink and remember. Whole days
in bed cawing Nooooo at the wall; the dress
yellowing, trembling if I open the wardrobe;
the slewed mirror, full - length, her, myself, who did this
to me? Puce curses that are sounds not words.
Some nights better, the lost body over me,
my fluent tongue in its mouth in its ear
then down till suddenly bite awake. Love's
hate behind a white veil; a red balloon bursting
in my face. Bang. I stabbed at a wedding cake.
Give me a male corpse for a long slow honeymoon.
Don't think it's only the heart that b-b-b-breaks.
Marchesa's dresses to me speak of should - have - beens, fading glamour, forgotten beauty, onetime romantic notions, lost magic, tragic endings.... they'd be worn by Marie Antoinette as she's sentenced to the guillotine, Ophelia on her descent into madness and Scarlett O'Hara as she battles with unrequited love.


























