raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens

This is the first moment I've been alone all day since it's half term; which means my little sister is off school and consequently my day has been full of rapping hymns, Vampire Diaries marathons, making bracelets, baking cakes and playing blackjack! Note, the only reason I'm now alone is because I said my sister's haircut made her look like Alexa Chung. She stormed off as apparently she see's this as a bad thing?!
Since my sister's had free reign over what we do today I've had to watch Despicable Me twice. I say 'had' to as if it was a chore. But secretly I l oved it (If I tell my sister that though I'll be watching it ten more times!) I figure that if Pharrell's on the soundtrack, I can get away with enjoying it just as much as my little sister. Although I'm not going to lie, I desperately want a minion. They're just so cute!


So I thought since I've spent the day doing all sorts of activities my sister loves I'd sort of round up what I like at the moment. I know a lot of blogs do something similar to this as a weekly feature, which is something I'm definitely considering in the future. I made a quick list before I started this post and even that was fun. I love making lists! Although the best bit is definitely the sense of achievement you get as you cross things off them, even if it is just a grocery list!

One: Sparkly things
I don't know when I became a magpie again, but somehow I'm channelling the fashion sense of a six year old girl and adoring anything that's embellished with glitter, sequins, crystals or gemstones. I've even fickly betrayed my allegiance to matt nail polishes in favour of Katy Perry's OPI glitter shades. I think my current nail shade may have subconsciously derived from staring longingly at the Alexander Wang glittery trousers too long.



Two - Jessie J's Brit Awards after party outfit
I've been a massive Jessie J fan for quite some time and it's great to see her gaining so much accolade now. She's got an absolutely stunning voice, one of my favourite performances she's done so far is her debut on Jools Holland's show performing an acoustic version of Price Tag. On top of a powerful voice she's got a really quirky and fun personal style which was really conveyed in her Brits after party ensemble. She's not afraid to take risks, evident by the lace body she wore to the pre-show Brits. Anyone working gold lame and printed trousers is a winner in my book!


Three - Unlikely DJ's
First off, I wish I could DJ. Mostly because I want to be Annie Mac! High up on my list of dream places to live is Ibiza. I did my first Summer season last year and I honestly don't think a day goes by where I don't think of being back there! In Mixmag a few months back there was an article about the origins of Ibiza, and it was this sense of a free and liberal attitude that the island possesses that I was reminded of when I read about Ruth Flowers and Tavi Gevinson's DJ ventures. Tavi of The Style Rookie recently made her DJing debut on the 11th February 2011 in New York. Not bad for a 14 year old. Rumour has it some Grease songs made an appearance, and I would place a bet on it that Hole did too! But perhaps even more unlikely than Tavi's DJ set is Ruth Flowers, who at 70 years old is playing events from Cannes Film Festival to nights at the Queen Club in Paris (whose past DJs include the likes of Amin van Buuren and Paul van Dyk!) There's so many social constraints and labels of what is acceptable and what isn't it's always refreshing to see people pushing the boundaries.



Four - Adele Fever
Everybody's loving Adele right now; not only has she got two singles in the UK Top 10 but she also singlehandedly reduced everybody to tears with her performance at the Brit Awards last week! So I was super excited when I managed to get tickets to see her at Blackpool Empress ballroom in September this week. I woke up and paced around erratically refreshing the website every two seconds an hour before they even went on sale! The gig's a long way off but I'm already so excited. Her voice is phenomenal and imagining it filling the grand setting of the Blackpool Winter Gardens already pretty much gives me goosebumps! The only problem is I now have ticket buying fever; caving in and purchasing Noah and the Whale and Fake Blood tickets by the end of the week is highly likely!








Five - Fun Fashion Week invites
Invitations are so important, since they set the tone for the entire event, so it's really nice when they're something a little bit unusual and quirky. They get you all excited! Some of my favourites this year are Giles Deacon's Spring 2011 utilisation of geek glasses and cartoons, Henry Holland's Fall 2011 bingo card and Rachel Antonoff's Fall 2011 high school dance invite.




Six - Gossip Girl screen shot
So I'm a massive American TV serial watcher. I just love cheese. I usually watch an episode online just before I go to sleep every night. I'm too impatient to wait for them to come to British TV! I absolutely love these screenshots of Dan and Blair from the latest episode: 'It-Girl Happened One Night.' Don't worry, if you haven't seen it, I'm not really giving anything away! The whole scenario of being on the phone, watching a film together, but not being in the same place really reminded me of when I was younger when me and my friends used to do the same watching Sex and the City! 



Seven - Dry the River
I am absolutely in love with this band at the moment. I've had their songs on repeat for the past few days. With parallels to the pastoral, simplicity of Mumford and Sons sound and Robert Pattinson's raw and emotive acoustics, I expect they'll get pretty popular in the next few months. Their more upbeat tracks also remind me of Little Comets - one of my favourite bands. Dry the River's sound is so infectious and involving. One of my favourite performances of theirs is an acoustic version of their single 'Bible Belt,' it's such a beautiful song. I can't wait to hear it live. They played the BBC Introducing stage at Glastonbury last year and I'm hoping they'll make another appearance there this year.





Eight - Jeffrey Campbell style boots
I didn't intend to include these photos in the list but then I actually quite liked the vibe they had to them. So I thought I'd put them up. These are the ever so popular Henry Holland tights and my Jeffrey Campbell - esque boots I got a while back now. Although for the life of me I can't remember where they're from. They're so versatile that I end up wearing them during the day and night. I'm thinking I might buy myself a real pair of Jeffrey Campbell boots soon since they're perfect for wearing to gigs and on a more casual night out. I'm really lusting after this pair - especially as they're in the sale!



Nine - The Fighter
I've seen this film twice now and the performances offered by Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale and Amy Adams are absolutely breathtaking. I'm pretty sure Christian Bale has to win the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for this. But we shall see (oooh Oscars excitement!) As soon as I've watched a film I find myself avidly googling it, I like to know little pieces of trivia and just how true that overused 'based on a true story' tagline really is. Often the results are disappointing but what I find so moving about 'The Fighter' is the levels of incorporation Micky Ward and Dick Eklund - the brothers the film is about - had and still have with the production of the film. Wahlberg and Ward are apparently friends and during pre - production the brothers even moved into Wahlberg's home. The film has clearly been made with love, dedication and respect which I think may be why it's such a wonderful film. I'm a massive boxing fan anyway (I am such a boy!) so I also love that the trainer Freddie Roach was involved with the film. I can't wait till it comes out on DVD so I can watch it again since I don't think I'll succeed in dragging anyone to the cinema with me to see it yet again!


Ten - This baby sloth
IT IS JUST TOO CUTE.