under the covers

It's come to my attention that cover versions possess that marmite factor. Some people hate to hear their favourite song by their favourite artist manipulated and edited by somebody else whilst some people love hearing an alternative, often more insightful version of a record. Cover versions really make you comprehend how malleable and variable a track is and how emotive and transferrable they are. I think cover versions help you not just glean a different perspective on the song itself, but also develop your understanding of the artist in terms of how they work, who their inspirations are and how they are influenced. So here are twenty of my favourite cover versions, I'd originally intended to do ten, but once I got started I just couldn't stop! Drawn into a world of tapped in emotion, playfulness and interpretation.


The xx cover of Florence and The Machine's 'You've Got The Love' : A track for the Summer conjuring up images of barbecues, drinks at dusk and rolling around in the grass as soon as the play button is hit. This softer, more relaxed and laidback version of the cult classic is fluctuated with mellowed harps, casually often barely sung repetitive lyrics and crescendo make the song both simpler yet more complex. A dazzling display of talent.

Young The Giant cover of Adele's 'Rolling In The Deep': I find songs often immediately have a totally different take when the vocalist's gender changes. This version again is reminiscent of Summer, sweet, cavalier memories and emotions. It is casual and genuine. Not as emotive as the powerful vocals provided by Adele but in its simplistic, stripped back nature it takes on a poetic quality.

Beyonce's cover of Kings Of Leon's 'Sex On Fire': Needing no introduction after wowing crowds with this rendition at Glastonbury, T in the Park and Oxegen alike, Beyonce writhed and warbled her way through this killer cover version soulfully. Standing in the crowd at Glastonbury it brought tears to my eyes, as her powerful voice conveyed every word with such conviction and breathless emotion. The backing piano allowed for her vocals to be showcased to an extraordinary degree and I doubt there were few people she didn't blow away. I think this cemented her place as one of the greatest women in pop of all time.

Ting Ting's cover of Gossip's 'Standing In The Way Of Control': I love how fun, frivolous and funky this cover is, with the Manchester band's sweet vocals surrounded by an aura of strumming guitars and vibey beats. It is again a more stripped back, casual adaptation of Beth Ditto's astonishing vocal demonstration but it possesses a softness and lack of seriousness that makes it work. Plus the 'I've Got The Power' sampling totally works!

The Kills' cover of Screamin' Jay Hawkins 'I Put A Spell On You': I think Allison Mosshart is my biggest girl crush at the moment alongside Lana Del Rey and this cover kind of demonstrates why. It's just enchanting, and passionate, screaming listen to me, take notice in a stark comparison to the bewitching subtlety of the original. Furthermore, the record oozes with that laidback rock style that The Kills master so well whilst holding steadfast to its roots, making it the perfect cover version. 

The Weeknd's cover of Drake's 'Trust Issues': With the super talented The Weeknd signed by Drake's label this cover isn't a particularly surprising song choice, but what is surprising is the level of skill and emotion the Toronto based singer is able to project into Drake's dark and brooding rap track. The Weeknd aka Abel Tesfaye is undoubtedly going to be huge; with his vocal range and Frank Ocean - esque atmospheric, electrically charged yet sparse production both demonstrated superbly in this one track.

Florence And The Machine's cover of Robert Palmer's 'Addicted To Love': Florence's expert vocal range and Summery sounds are shown to their full array in this adaptation of the cult classic Robert Palmer's record, famous for its iconic video as much as its catchy lyrics. Florence lets the lyrics take on a sweeter, softer approach, bringing a whole new meaning to the track.

The Killer's cover of Dire Strait's 'Romeo and Juliet': Probably my favourite cover version of all time, filmed for a Channel Four Abbey Road session, Brandon Flower's takes 70s star Mark Knopfler's song and launches it to a new audience. The original is just as gorgeous, but there is something about Brandon Flower's husky melted voice that gives me goosebumps. Each word is sung with such conviction it could easily be a song penned from Brandon's heart. Plus, with The Killer's back catalogue including covers of Joy Division - it's clear to see this era of music is a clear source of inspiration for The Killers.

Ellie Goulding's cover of Temper Trap's 'Sweet Disposition': Already taking a atmospheric, Summer soaked record that has soundtracked a thousand festivals and sandy memories Ellie Goulding adds her silky vocals to this cover beautifully, albeit whilst pulling a few notorious faces in the video! To me this is a more reflective, charming, hesitant and pondering track where Temper Trap's version conjures up all those living in the moment associations. It possesses an innocence and naivety that really brings the track to life.

Pixie Lott's cover of Kings Of Leon's 'Use Somebody': I often forget what an amazing vocalist Pixie Lott is capable of being, probably because she doesn't produce records like this enough. Her voice, brimming with emotion and resonating round every word brings tears to my eyes in this stunning track. Summer roadtrips, roof down, on the way to see someone you love.

Sunday Girl's cover of MGMT's 'Time To Pretend': Chosen partly because I love the video filmed in a pet shop where Sunday Girl's alternative name arose and partly because of her charmingly sweet vocals in this track. I can't wait for Sunday Girl to become majorly famous as I girl crush on her silky voice as much as I do her hair! This cover is everything I've already mentioned; soft, sweet, oh so Summery!

Birdy's cover of Bon Iver's 'Skinny Love': I don't think I really need to put into words how or why this track's made my list. It's completely enchanting, and somewhat magical considering Birdy is only actually a fourteen year old girl.

Adele's cover of Bob Dylan's 'Make You Feel My Love': A beautiful rendition of a bluesy folksy atmospheric track from the wonderful Bob Dylan. It retains all the emotion and beauty Bob Dylan's original contains; yet gains a rawness and innocence through Adele's lyrical vocals. Even more perfectly the track fits in seamlessly with the classic and yet modernistic feel of her back catalogue.

Angus & Julia Stone's cover of Grease's 'You're The One That I Want': An amazingly raw and simplistic cover that to me is somewhat of a poster board for all cover versions. Through the brother and sister's acoustic alternative to the dramatic and upbeat original. This is a mellowed, emotional and gorgeous version entirely removed from the catchy and pop driven counterpart.

Benjamin Francis Leftwich's cover of Arcade Fire's 'Rebellion': Benjamin Francis Leftwich is a fantastic talent akin to the lava in a volcano, brimming to be recognised. With hints of Paolo Nutini and an endearing nature emphasised throughout interviews I'm sure his success is inevitable. His capability lies in creating sophisticated, lyrically beautiful, vocally stunning, dreamy and romantic tracks as this cover demonstrates perfectly.

Ray LaMontagne's cover of Gnarls Barkley's 'Crazy': Another cover that completely adapts the song to fit in with the style and nature of the artist, adding an alternative feel and sensibility to the track simultaneously. This cover is a beautiful acoustic rendition of another cult classic.

The Pretty Reckless' cover of Eminem's 'Love The Way You Lie': Not being the biggest Taylor Momsen fan I always have a overwhelming surprise of renewed surprise whenever I hear her sing. Her music really is incredibly impressive. I remember being woken up to her live from Download whilst I was at Parklife and being absolutely awestruck. Interspersing 'Islands' with this already emotionally charged song she makes an electric atmospheric track.

The Maccabees' cover of Roy Orbison's 'I Drove All Night': Taking a beautiful record and making it possibly even more beautiful, brooding and sultry. It's an atmospheric, romantic and gorgeous guilty pleasure record. The kind you kind of wish Orlando Weeks' was singing directly to you.

James Blake's cover of Joni Mitchell's 'A Case Of You': Another favourite cover version I'm still a little bit mad about missing this performed in a church over a Funktion One sound-system. James Blake creates a wholeheartedly gorgeous track, that actually makes me weak at the knees, establishing his skill and superb levels of production through an already great record. Joni Mitchell's lyrics with James Blake's voice is a haunting and astounding combination.

Ed Sheeran's cover of Jamie Woon's 'Wayfaring Stranger': Everything Ed Sheeran touches turns to gold. And hopefully soon to platinum with the rising chart success of 'A Team' and his soon to be released album (OCTOBER!). A passionate, ridiculously talented and vocally blessed genius I'm glad Ed Sheeran's now gaining the recognition he deserves. This is a stunning track that provides reasoning alone for his success.