TGI Fridays


I said I would inevitably end up doing a blogpost on this video; probably because it really does parallel all those 80s films I love so much! I mean, it has a sax solo to rival Rob Lowe's in St Elmo's Fire, a makeover that is possibly even better than Andie's in Pretty In Pink and a parent/child relationship that certainly holds a flame to Ferris Bueller's Day Off. OK so it may not be the best moralistic video for Katy Perry's target audience, but what legal drinker (ha!) hasn't been in this position at some point - those £1 shots that seem like such a deal at the time but you have to pay for the next day, the smell of the mini bar, the pounding head and the frightfully cringeworthy tagging of Facebook photos are all way too familiar! In fact, with all that being said, I probably am in a similar situation right now in a little field in Somerset having most likely downed excessive amounts of Jagerbombs before catching Julio Bashmore and Maya Jane Coles the night before. Unfortunately the glitter all over the room, flamingos in the pool and chandelier on the floor are not quite so familiar circumstances! Although how I wish that wasn't the case! To me any party that involves flamingos and excessive amounts of glitter has to be a good one. TANGENT: I so want an 80s party soon where I can wear blue eyeshadow, bright pink, high tops and perm my hair and kind of get away with it! Anyway, let's hit the screenshots.


For one, like Tavi Gevinson, I have a complete obsession with bedrooms in films and TV series' that this just appeals to so perfectly. The contrast of that little suburban pastel slatted house and Katy Perry's pink tone throw and accolades on a shelf with the lyrics of the song is just brilliant. It totally captures that high school revelation moment where you just know your life is never going to be the same again. Also I'm unintentionally digging Americana high school culture this week, I have no idea why when my current activities are probably as far removed from it as you can get! But I'm actually a bit gutted I don't have a model of the Solar System, or at the very least a poster! (Insight - I am that sad twenty year old though that has glow in the dark stars on their ceiling!)


But anyway back to the video! Whilst I love a good transformation more than anyone, hello Pretty Woman, is it wrong that I'm actually pretty sure I have Katy Perry pre makeover's glasses, and possibly wouldn't be too opposed to that denim jumpsuit. If Alexa Chung can pull off dungarees I want to be able to too! Kathy Beth Terry totally has the nerd chic down to a tee - I mean her oversized glasses, pastel polo and double denim can happily find their way into my wardrobe any time.


And hello neons that rival Christopher Kane's Summer 2011 fluorescent shades, sports luxe that outdoes Alexander Wang's Summer 2011 collection and streamlined shiny materials that gives Armani Prive 2011's couture collection a run for its money. Or possibly another Pretty Woman reference, maybe pre-makeover this time! I almost wish I had an occasion to wear this overtly tacky outfit. And as for the hair, I long for the simplistic days of being a little old woman going for a midweek gossip and perm and set at the salon! I went through a stage of desperately wanting a perm a few years back (a light one, I promise, not tight ringlets) but never did.... considering coming as Katy Perry in this costume for Halloween now just so I finally have an excuse!


But message of the video is clearly: it's Friday - time for shots, crazy parties and memory making, although maybe avoid the illegal activities and menage a trois'! Whatever mischief you're up to I hope you all have an amazing weekend.