I was really unsure who to write about in today's Saturday Spotlight, I was in two minds about writing about somebody I'd see at Glastonbury, or a few new artists I heard on Rob Da Bank's show - is it crazy that I often either stay up or set an alarm to listen to his early morning Saturday show even though I could just listen again? I think it might be, but there's something so special and so fitting listening to it as the sun breaks. Anyway, waffling here and it's really not relevant, as instead I thought I'd write about Jessica 6, especially as a few days ago they got a Mixmag cover mention alongside Charli XCX and Jess Mills. (SIDENOTE: MIXMAG PLEASE GIVE ME A JOB)
Ok so Jessica 6 isn't technically a solo artist, they're actually a Brooklyn based trio with Andrew Raposo and Morgan Wiley led by the impressively atmospheric vocals provided by Nomi Ruiz. Not dissimilar to the funky, retro vibes of Hercules & Love Affair, Jessica 6 are leading a forefront of crossover bands that combine dance, soul, pop, hip hop and R&B effortlessly (think Darwin Deez showcase on their phenomenal Charlie And The Chocolate Factory mixtape). Jessica 6 is a name reportedly taken from a character in a sci-fi film called 'Logans Run,' emphasising their uniqueness, their ethereal otherworld style, their electric modernistic vibes and their broad influences. It also demonstrates just how fun and frivolous Jessica 6 are, if anyone's going to come close to reviving Donna Summer's classic 'I Feel Love' it's Jessica 6.
Nomi Ruiz's deep evocative voice could lend its bravado for a number of musical efforts, particularly 90s Balearic trance, but with minimalistic dysfunctional beats Nomi's voice really comes into its own. It's husky and sexy yet almost alien. High energy but with deep, low hints. Consequently Nomi's voice enables Jessica 6 to become a transferrable any time of day band, their sultry synthetic dance beats would be at home at sunrise or sunset. Evidentially their inspiration spans from Brazilian beats in 'See The Light' to 80s synth pop in 'White Horse.' There's hints of Jamie xx, Goldfraap, of course their old touring band Hercules & Love Affair and Hot Chip. With the EP released 28th May I expect them to take the underground dance scene by storm, with videos that channel Henry Holland's pre-fall collection faux music video and a malleable debut funky record that's going to find its way onto sunset terraces and dirty dancefloor's worldwide this Summer.
