the princess and the pea

I've so far spent the day in a regressive state, since it's the last day of half term my sister and I have been indulging in Disney films, ice cream floats, hula hooping and a spot of baking. It's been amazing; and 'The Princess And The Frog' is such a good film! Although I just passed on the offer to go play bowling in order to write this post and now I'm already regretting it just a teensy bit, so I've made myself a hot chocolate, have stuck on a bit of Radio One and have moved outside to spur myself on. I think I might reward myself when I've finished with a Topshop spree too (any excuse) because I can't stop thinking about these shorts.


'A Thing For Me' - Metronomy: Opening track because The English Riviera is one of the albums of the Summer, no matter where you're going or what you're doing it just seems to fit perfectly. An aspect that is possibly reflected in their current tour dates which encompass gigs everywhere - from Ibiza Rocks to Heaven to Lovebox. I love the lyrics and how synonymous with Friendly Fires, you just can't sit still whilst a Metronomy track is on, something in you wants to dance! And is it not that sporadic urge to dance and throw yourself around a fool no matter where you are that makes Summer so perfect?

'Open Heart Surgery' - Beth Ditto / Simian Mobile Disco: I've been meaning to put this track on a playlist for a while now because this EP is just phenomenal. Beth Ditto's extraordinary powerful and evocative vocals merge beautifully with these uptempo dance tracks on the four song EP produced by Simian Mobile Disco. If you haven't got a copy you definitely should; the lyrics are evocative, the beats punchy and the rhythm electric. It's kind of a modern take on those famed female vocal 90s dance tracks and the partnership just works beautifully. 

'Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall' - Coldplay: A departure for Coldplay from the melancholic melodies of Clocks and Fix You, this first single from their fifth album is much more upbeat and Summery, yet without the epic stadium vibes of Viva La Vida. Instead in 'Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall' Coldplay have merged these two disparate sounds; combining emotive bare all lyrics with cheerful and beautiful melodies. This combination allows for a heartfelt, warming track that would be the perfect accompaniment on a Summer roadtrip.

'Wildfire' - SBTRKT: This track is cropping up everywhere at the moment, with Drake even venturing out of his comfort zone to add vocals to a remix. I'm pretty excited to actually catch SBTRKT at Parklife this weekend and see how the song transfers live, as I just love how many musical influences and styles this track brings together, with hints of dubstep, Balaeric sounds, Gossip and Katy B.

'Love Without A Heart' - Javeon McCarthy: I'm already anticipating big things from Javeon McCarthy with his debut track 'Love Without A Heart' released 13th June. Produced by producer of the moment Julio Bashmore, this smooth Miami Vice style R&B record is stunning. With hints of Ghostpoet, Perfume Genius and Frank Ocean, the soulful Javeon McCarthy could effortlessly provide a soundtrack to Summer. With cool switchings from soft soul to almost whispered breakdowns over house beats this song is just laidback beach listening. You couldn't ask for any more.

'Humdrum Town' - Theophilus London: The Lovers Holiday EP is absolutely breathtaking quite honestly, released at the perfect time of year for the music it features, demonstrating how Theophilus London is on the road to success with latest track 'Humdrum Town' already making its way onto Radio One airwaves. 'Humdrum Town' is actually a remastered track from his debut EP 'The Charming Mixtape' and is most likely a reference to a New York completely divergent to the wondrous city Jay Z and Alicia Keys referred to in 'Empire State Of Mind.' Theophilus London is at the forefront of a new breed of talent that is swagger laden, yet effortlessly cool; able to maintain an air of stripped back vocals and minimalist beats whilst production remains resolutely perfect. Statements that are probably most perfectly emphasised in the video for 'Humdrum Town.'

'Diet Mtn Dew' - Lana Del Rey: There are some artists I actually will to get huge and I just play to everyone because they deserve to be noticed. Lana Del Rey is one of those. So far every track I've heard from her is absolutely perfect, her sweet vocals become almost regal over the melodic beats, her lyrics combine an extravagance and innocence perfectly and her videos just tie everything together perfectly. When I hear 'Diet Mtn Dew' I envision long-ago teenagers posing for photos and exchanging promise rings and corsages on Prom night. If you listen to it and browse these, you just get a sense of all the naivete, expectation and hope she's singing about just beautifully. 

'Murder In The City' - The Avett Brothers: Originating from North Carolina The Avett Brothers are a folk rock band that are kind of like marmite, you either love them or hate them. I absolutely love it when they're playing their tracks stripped back, with their strangely beautiful harmonies entirely emphasised. I often find that when singers perform with accented lilts it adds a personable emotion filled feel to the track and that works so successfully here. The lyrics become even more beautiful. 

'Big Jet Plane' - Angus & Julia Stone: I've seen a lot of love for Australian brother and sister Angus and Julia Stone on blogs recently, possibly because their acoustic sounds are just so perfect at this time of year. In fact, their songs are almost like the Summer bohemian trends in musical form, certainly when you listen to them you can't help but think of rolling oceans, wavy beach hair, aztec print, denim shorts and tie dye. After this track was featured on the last episode of One Tree Hill I haven't been able to get it out of my head. It's a breathtaking record, one in which Angus' laid back vocals just works wonders with the dreamy romanticism of the lyrics. 

'Collide' - Howie Day: I think everyone's had that time in their life when Howie Day and John Mayer tracks were all they listened to, usually it happens when you really believe you're falling in love for the first time. I can't imagine how many weddings this has been played at, yet somehow it is able to withstand all these cliches and hold its own as a track. Yes, it's still a little bit cheesy, but yes, it's also still a little bit heart warming.

'Like A Rolling Stone' - Bob Dylan: With Bob Dylan celebrating his 70th birthday on May 24th he's been cropping up everywhere of late, deservedly so. 'Like A Rolling Stone' is famed for revolutionising popular music in the 60s through this track and decades later it still possesses all those feelings of escapism, freedom, angst and change. I find it so hard to listen to without singing along!

'I Giorni' - Ludovici Einaudi: The other week Greg James took some time out of his show to play this divine record from Italian composer Ludovici Einaudi, urging everyone to just stop whatever they were doing and just listen. More than anything this track is entirely emotive; you can't listen to it and feel nothing and that's what makes it so beautiful, the piano solo allows for an entirely personable malleable interpretation.

'Re: Stacks' - Bon Iver: With Bon Iver's self-entitled album due for release later this month (20th June) I can't stop listening to 'For Emma Forever Ago.' The closing track on an album of distance, loss, desperation and hibernation. This is a song of isolation, of heartbreak but it is not a track of emptiness, it is a song that is brimming with emotion from start to finish paralleling the behaviour of a person falling in love when everyone can see their emotions reflecting from them. Full of oblique lyrics and guitar strumming this is a song for a sunny day; after all if Vernon creator of an album full of devastation is able to break free and create a second album of reconnection and discovery there is hope for us all, no matter how lost we may feel now.

'Barton Hollows' - The Civil Wars: Adele recently referred to this Nashville duo as being "by far the best band I have ever seen" continuing on to say they are both "magical and stunning." If beautiful songstress Adele gives such a glowing recommendation expectations are high. Certainly, Adele is not alone in her opinions, with The Civil Wars appearing to be one of the biggest buzz bands to emerge from this years SXSW and Taylor Swift also tweeting about them. 'Barton Hollows' begins with uplifting guitar strums, powerful lyrics and beautiful harmonies, their songs carry the listener on a beautiful musical journey Americana music history. 'Barton Hollows' also wouldn't be out of place on the 'Brother Where Art Thou?' soundtrack. Which is by no means a bad thing. They straddle the folk, country and rock genres making them quite a niche band, but yet still capable of a Number One chart position on iTunes downloads.

'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' - U2: It suddenly dawned on me last night that at the end of this month I'll be seeing U2 again and I'm unbelievably excited. U2 were the first band I ever saw live and since then I've been absolutely in love with them. Controversial to the last, I think they've really pushed boundaries and influenced music since their formation in 1976, with band such as The Killers citing them as inspiration. 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' from 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' pays homage to Bono's father, includes absolutely gorgeous and relatable lyrics and almost always reduces me to tears live. I will not cry at Glastonbury. I will not cry at Glastonbury. I will not cry at Glastonbury.

'Landfill' - Daughter: I'll probably do a more detailed spotlight on Daughter in the near future as I'm completely in love with her 'His Young Heart' EP. A regular on Rob Da Bank's show Daughter aka Elena Tonra from North London is well on her way to success. 'Landfill' is a wholly relatable record, one of those must play break up songs, with a sparse, haunting, atmospheric sound.

'Bubble' - King Creosote & Jon Hopkins: Another beautiful record from one of my favourite albums of the year 'Diamond Mine' that was recently showcased on Rob Da Bank's early morning show with a beautiful live session that I'd urge anyone to listen to. As Rob Da Bank said once Fife originating King Creosote and Jon Hopkins had finished renditions from their stunning collaboration everyone was either left without words or teary eyed. 'Bubble' is a somewhat futuristic track from an album filled with retro feeling tracks, a soundtrack of everyday Scottish sounds and a subject of time. I could listen to it forever.

'The Kiss' - Pallers: I recently rediscovered this record and realised how much I adored it. In 'The Kiss' Pallers have a feel of Jamie xx and Friendly Fires recent music about them, demonstrating just how on the mark the Swedes are with their music at the moment. Released in 2010 the track has a overall chilled out vibe whilst retaining a depth and warmth through the stirring lyrics. Unfortunately The Pallers do a sort of disappearing act soon after releasing their tracks, with 'The Kiss' coming a couple of years after the critically acclaimed 'Humdrum,' so there may be some wait for a follow-up track.

'Something About You' - Tensnake: Tensnake proffered the soundtrack to the Summer last year with his Balearic hit 'Coma Cat,' whilst 'Something About You' is completely divergent in sound it is sure to be another Summer classic. Where 'Coma Cat' was laidback, effortless, sparse and slow; 'Something About You' is fast, furious and dramatic. Both are equally as entrancing, infectious and withstanding. 'Something About You' will inevitably be finding its way onto dance floors, pool sides and outdoor terraces worldwide this Summer. 

'Bear Hug' - The 2 Bears: Probably my favourite track of the week 'Bear Hug.' I've always been a huge fan of 2 Bears - Joe Goddard and Raf Rundell - aptly named for their resemblances to bears. Their videos are always funny, their remixes always brilliant and with 'Bear Hug' their popularity will probably burgeon. I love acts who don't take themselves too seriously; and with their furry bear suits and lyrics like 'I've seen you on the bits but I don't wanna feel your tits, just wanna give you a bear hug' you could never accuse 2 Bears of not having enough humility. I can't wait to see them on the festival circuit this forthcoming Summer.

'Rill Rill' - Sleigh Bells: In this noise pop record Alexis Krauss' voice rings out sickly sweet over a amazing video directed by John Watts. The video combines those sugary vocals with creepy imagery, creating a multifaceted track. A song for roadtrips and Summery days.

'Boa' - The Special K's: The title track from Brighton born The Special K's debut EP is a beautiful electro pop record, championed by the likes of Rizzle Kicks and Radio One DJs. Sharing mentors with The Kooks, The Special K's have produced an album perfect for a completely different type of trip to the seaside than The Kooks offer. Yet BOA bears the same confidence and infection as past songs by The Kooks have. For lovers of The Wombats and Friendly Fires this five piece are sure to be liked.

'Girls With Accents' - Fences: A Summery guitar driven record with hints of Crystal Castles and The Kooks 'Girls With Accents' has a high school feel about them for grown ups. Singing of first love and lyrics that offer haunting reminders of the past: "Now's my chance to finally kiss you, but I got drunk and I passed out." The song speaks of missed opportunities, fate and feelings in a honest and reflective manner that you can't help but sing along to.

'Camilo The Magician' - Said The Whale: I found Said The Whale when browsing through SXSW sets, it would appear I have a bit of a thing for bands that have 'Whale' in the title. A Canadian band clearly influenced by the British Indie Pop sound with catchy riffs and lilted lyrics with appearances in the UK recently at Great Escape and Liverpool Sound City it appears they may be heading for success.

'She's Thunderstorms' - Arctic Monkeys: One of my favourite tracks from the new 'Suck It And See' album Arctic Monkeys are as wonderful and modern as ever. On this album Alex Turner's voice belts out intelligent, observant and beautiful lyrics track after track, with 'She's Thunderstorms' the reference to a unnamed, mysterious muse leaves the listener pondering, digesting lyrics and wondering over a modern love song.

'Techno Fan' - The Wombats: One of my favourite songs on the Radio One playlist at the moment, The Wombats latest album 'The Modern Glitch' is full of enthusiastic, indie pop hits that are pervasively catchy and persuasively enjoyable for the Summer months.