Heyyy, so as promised here is my Monday playlist. Making it has actually been a welcome distraction, so it's kind of just full of tracks offering a bit of escapism this week. If you listen to it imagine you're lying on a tropical island, palm trees waving, sun glaring down on you or you're driving on a long road with no particular destination in mind. IWANTTOGOONAROADTRIPNOW.
'Feeling Good' - Nina Simone: Because everyone should listen to Nina Simone. That voice. Wow, it's practically hypnotic. I think the lyrics are just pretty resonating and then the music kicks in and it kind of has the ability to make you feel better about anything. It's like medicine!
'Loaded' - Primal Scream: I think Primal Scream are just the epitome of festival fun. I can't wait to catch the Sreamadelica tour, which became Primal Scream's biggest album success and has been recently hailed by the BBC as a "solid gold classic." With a retro sound and a kaleidoscopic atmosphere it's no wonder it was named in the Top 100 albums of the 90s. And yes, it may have made it into the list because of my incessant obsession with 90s grunge at the moment triggered by My So Called Life. I wouldn't be surprised if you see a Rayanne / Angela fashion post soon! I wasn't joking when I said I wanted scrunchies!
'Take A Chance' - The Supermen Lovers: Latest track from the French music producers, I told you I was loving French DJs at the moment, is another infectious, easy listening track. At first play I thought it was slightly cheesy, slightly 80s, slightly overdone. But actually it's completely addictive, makes you want to dance and I'm loving the retro sound - it makes you want to drive around in a convertible in pedal pushers and crochet.
'Have Fun' - Bleeding Knees Club: Only formed in March 2010 Bleeding Knees Club are a relatively new band with a retro sound. Oh I seem to have gone very retro this week?! A kind of low-fi punk with croaky vocals, catchy lyrics and videos that make you want to go on roadtrips (and ombre your hair) they've transcended themselves into a sort of surf-punk category. You can totally imagine Ivy from 90210 being a fan.
'Hawaiian Air' - Friendly Fires: I may be biased here with my love for Ed Macfarlane reaching epic proportions but Friendly Fires seem to be on an infectious indie pop roll. I've never heard a bad track from them, but their new album 'Pala' seems to be creating a wildfire amongst critics and DJs alike. With several Radio One DJs naming them the band to see at Radio One's Big Weekend and 'Pala' already in the Amazon album bestsellers list from pre-orders alone it suggest big things for Friendly Fires this Summer. Hawaiian Air is the latest track from 'Pala' and was named Zane Lowe's record of the week last week. Roll on 16th May for the full album release!
'Youth' - Sunburns: I love the opening to this track! It is gorgeous! And the vocals are just as good. I don't actually know much about Sunburns other than that they produce beautiful Summer sounding records that make me want to fall in love a la Danny and Sandy in Grease! Oh and you can download the whole E.P for free here. It was only released in April and is already cropping up everywhere. I'm sure they're going to be huge.
'We Can Pretend' - Strange Talk: Another Australian band, possibly because I want to move there or possibly because their bands keep producing gorgeous synth indie pop records that perfectly evoke Summer. Strange Talk's music sounds like an amalgamation of Friendly Fires, early MGMT and Passion Pit. Their songs also have an anthemic feel about them making them a sure fire hit at gigs and festivals. I can see a whole host of DJs getting their hands on Strange Talk's tracks and creating some amazing remixes too.
'Never Fade Away' - Spector: Addictive new record from London five piece Spector. Whilst it may not be particularly lyrically complicated the vocals are pretty haunting and the melody instilling meaning you'll listen once and still be singing along days later. 'Never Fade Away' sounds a little like a house party condensed into a song, full of liberation, sex, elation and a little bit dirty. Their sound has a hint of The Vaccines or Glasvegas about it and with the record not actually released until June 20th this is just a taster of things to come. Plus, how gorgeous is this picture?!
'We're Through' - James Pants: You might be thinking 'REALLY?!' right now, but with recommendations from Tyler, the Creator and spotlights in national papers such as the Guardian James Pants is probably going to be huge this year. In fact, he's due to make an appearance at Fabric this Friday. I desperately want to see him! I think his music kind of defies categorisation and with his videos full of parody and sly humour you definitely can't accuse him of taking himself too seriously. His records would definitely find fans in the 'weird' kids from the 80s and 90s cult classics such as The Breakfast Club and Twin Peaks. And that's probably not a bad thing. Sampled by Odd Future on multiple occasions, an album recently released and playing the nostalgia card James Pants actually makes records you can't help but love.
'2 Hearts' - Digitalism: Perhaps one of the most controversial new releases around, mostly stemming from this record barely resembling Digitalism's back catalogue. I actually don't think it's that far removed, it still possesses many of their musical traits. It's still indie - dance after all, it's still a infectious sound possibly this time accompanied with clearer, catchier vocals and softer in comparison to 'I Want, I Want' and 'Idealistic' but it's just as unsubtle and as in your face as ever. There's a lot of hype surrounding the June release of 'I Love You Dude,' as a fan of '2 Hearts' I actually can't wait.
'Set Fire To The Rain' - Adele: What is there to say about Adele that hasn't been said before? She's beautiful. Her voice is as gorgeous and flawless as Megan Fox! Her live performances are faultless despite her confessing she's afraid of performing and she's completely dominating the charts at the moment. Quite rightly so. Who hasn't been playing '21' nonstop?! The only problem she has is becoming a victim of her own success, with Radio One incessantly playing her tracks what seems to be like every hour on the hour she has the danger of becoming a little Kings Of Leon-esque. However, with THAT laugh and her likeable persona I doubt even that could happen to Adele.
'Always Like This' - Bombay Bicycle Club: One of my songs of the Summer, played everyday at Ibiza Rocks now whenever I hear it I can practically feel the sun shining. This is such a bouncy, sweet, playful track and with appearances at Rockness and Latitude this year it looks like they're set to become an essential part of any Summer soundtrack once again. Plus, Jack Steadman's vocals almost give me goosebumps!
'Liar, My Dear' - The Heartbreaks: The Heartbreaks are a local band to me, coming from Morecambe, it's quite bizarre knowing the places they feature in the song. I remember my friends and I actually used to totally fancy the lead singer, we'd be ever so excited when he was on the same train as us! CRINGE! Their sound is peppered with hints of The Kooks and The Smiths and their songs paralleling Morecambe in terms of their classic, throwback sound. The odds of The Heartbreaks doing well are actually pretty high; they won the Manchester Evening News award for best new band in 2009, have opened as support for Hurts and The View, are playing at Great Escape in Brighton this weekend and actually produce a gorgeous sound that would resonate perfectly around Ibiza Rocks poolside stage.
'Touch Me' - Jamie xx & Yasmin: Jamie xx can't do anything wrong, Yasmin is a beautiful rising star, and Rui de Silva's original rendition of ''Touch Me' was amazing, obviously this record was going to be gorgeous. And it is. It is an amalgamation of talent, staying true to both artists and the original track whilst becoming a modern, effortless track. Complete easy listening.
'Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad' - Moby: I always forget just how many stunningly beautiful records Moby has made. I also always forget I saw him DJ live and completely fell in love in Ibiza circa 2009. If anyone creates ambient music it's Moby. He's provided a gorgeous soundtrack to a number of Hollywood films yet still creates a sense of private, intimate listening through each track. This song is just perfect.
'On A Train' - Yusek: OK so the opening kind of sucks, but when it kicks in the song is indie/dance/electro/retro music at its best. Another French DJ. Hello obsession! I can so see this being played everywhere. It's just a fun, lively record that bodes well for his new album out June.
'Corona and Lime' - Shwayze: Not going to lie I used to have an obsession with this track. You can laugh. But it just sounds like dusty roads, the beach and sitting round campfires. It's way too cheesy and well, the video kind of just explains every reason why you shouldn't like it. But. It's ever so Summery. And ever so 90s.
'Analog' - Tyler, The Creator: So just when you thought I'd gone insane I'm pulling it round with a bit of Odd Future. Goblin is out now people! Everyone should own it. Tyler, The Creator is doing everything right. Amazing production, brilliant videos, stunning songs. Everyone's talking about Odd Future, maybe not entirely for the right reasons but still, the tracks are finding their way onto the BBC complete with beeps and silencers aplenty! This track is just completely relaxed, slow jamming. It's strangely beautiful.
'Love The Way You Lie' - Eminem ft Rihanna - So I completely overplayed this record when it was released, maybe because it worked in the same way as 'Stan' in that it's a beautiful record about an ugly subject and it's this complete juxtaposition that makes gorgeous listening. Or it could just have been because the video featured Megan Fox, Rihanna, Dominic Monaghan and Eminem! Swoon! Either way roll on seeing Eminem live!
Hope you're having a lovely Wednesday! AS IF IT'S WEDNESDAY ALREADY!!!! GAH!
