sheets of egyptian cotton

Everyone has film's from their childhood that they look back upon fondly, with brimming nostalgia and watch in moments of silliness, sadness, or wistfulness. Watching them now creates a feeling synonymous with drinking hot chocolate on a winter's night or wrapping yourself up in a comfort blanket, they create an aura of warmth and security. It's probably because of this that they're the films you find yourself watching when you're feeling a bit sad or indecisive. I had a Brittany Murphy marathon a few weeks back, as her back catalogue of films such as 'Clueless', 'Girl, Interrupted', 'Riding In Cars With Boys' and 'Uptown Girls' are ones I really recall having an impact on me in earlier years. In terms of fashion 'Uptown Girls' still remains one of my favourite films, the character Molly Gunn's frivolous ice cream shade wardrobe and cascade of wavy hair has the childhood-innocence-with-a-hidden-secret effect that designers such as Rachel Antonoff, Band of Outsiders and Rodarte do so well. I honestly can see some of the movie stills even making perfect lookbooks for the designers. The film's wardrobe is like a frothy, rom-com equivalent of Nina's 'Black Swan's'. It has all the innocence of petal pinks, apricots, floaty fabrics, ruffles, florals and embroidery, but in 'Uptown Girls' the characters personal problems are emphasised through her wardrobe in that outfits have the effect of a little girl raiding her Mum's wardrobe playing dress up (head to toe sequins, mix of cottons and silks) or being larger versions of doll's outfits (girl scout patches, bright embroidery, themed get ups). Furthermore props such as Pez, micropigs and miniature tea-sets alongside locations such as the park, children's bedrooms and amusement parks often emphasise the childish nature of the wardrobe. It's fun, effortless and pretty fashion and I'd probably wear every single piece. The film's wardrobe boasts many go-to Spring fashion trends such as heavy floral patterning, saccharine shades, cut - out - crocheting - effects, underwear as outerwear and ballet inspired looks, and since the sun's shining and the birds are tweeting I think it's great inspiration.  In fact, upon reflection, I'm holding 'Uptown Girls' responsible for my love of dungarees, head to toe sequins and micropigs!