Well hasn't this weekend been exciting?! NY Fashion week, the BAFTA's and the absolutely - amazing - stayed up all night to watch - Grammy's. There is so much that I want to talk about, but I'm going to (for once) attempt to pace myself. There's plenty of time to analyse just how much I want a pair of Alexander Wang's sparkly trousers and how giddy I would have been if I'd been at the Moncler Grenoble Grand Central station flash mob fashion show. I seriously haven't been this excited about skiwear since Snowbombing! See, I'm getting ahead of myself already and I haven't even mentioned Rachel Antonoff's high school dance themed show (swoon) nor how effortless Victoria Beckham makes fashion designing appear. Plus, there's the Brits and the ELLE style awards up this week. There's far too much to take in. I suggest the fashion and music industries all head to Club Tropicana and spend their days floating around on lilos whilst the rest of the world digests all that's been going on.
Somewhere between Lady Gaga's incubation and Jill Zarin's runway appearance at Zang Toi my bed became my desk, having discovered the hard way (temporarily broken macbook) that runway print outs, fashion magazines, mojito ingredients and several cameras and phones all in various states of damage no longer fit on my desk. In the midst of all this chaos I've been trying to find certain pictures for this post and am now fairly sure I completely made up my own fashion show. I was looking for nomadic, excessively layered and varied prints runway shots, if they aren't fictionalised and I do happen to come across them I'll be sure to post them but after exhausting style.com's links I'm pretty concerned!
But anyway, I'm 100% sure the Rag and Bone collection existed. And I'm also holding David Neville and Marcus Wainwright 100% responsible for the compelling travel bug that's been instilled in me. With their Fall collection of bleached brows, loose plaits, mixed prints and assorted fabrics they created the illusion of travellers and collectors who compiled their outfits from a wardrobe full of memories and moments. Every piece was so tactile and the use of native fabrics such as plaid and shearling mixed with sportswear was really effective. These were clothes that had travelled through time - from the Aztecs to the sixties, and places - from Scottish Highlands to American football stadiums. Combined with desk-bed confinement the Rag and Bone collection made me want to begin a grand exploration immediately. In Where The Wild Things Are Max donned his furry costume and experienced "wild rumpus" fun in the land of the Wild Things, in Rag and Bone's over the knee socks and fringed ponchos I was make - believe venturing through the prairies and the Arctic circle.
More than anything, the Rag and Bone collection reminded me of the photography of Mark Segal and in particular his editorial in T Magazine entitled 'Going Places.' The 'Going Places' shoot was about a woman who carried everywhere she'd been on her person; to me Rag and Bone's collection provided a toned down version of this concept combining origins and travels so the Fall collection told a story. These are the clothes the heroines of a Margaret Atwood novel would wear, and I think that's why I loved them so much.
Not going to lie, sourcing these photos is killing me because I'm trying desperately to finish up so I can listen to Zane Lowe at seven, word on the street is there's some cheeky plays from Noah and the Whale's new album 'Last Night on Earth' and as everybody probably knows by now I am in love with L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N. So here it goes.
001, 002, 003, 004, 005 & 006 Rag & Bone A/W 2011 Collection
007 Mark Segal, 'Going Places' editorial, T Magazine, Fall 2010. 008 'The Lonesome Highway' Mark Segal, Vogue 2010. 009 Aztec cosmogram. 010 Still from Wildcats (the movie not the TV series). 011 Tommy Hilfiger Fall 2010 lookbook. 012 Shearling. 013 'The Lonesome Highway' Mark Segal, Vogue 2010. 014 Margaret Atwood apocalyptic novel, 'The Year of the Flood.' 015 Mark Segal, 'Going Places' editorial, T Magazine, Fall 2010. 016 Vintage Vogue Knitting Book cover. 017 Gemma Arterton, Vogue Italia, December 2010. 018 Red Deer. 019 Twiggy. 020 American football still. 021 Eskimo family. 022 Kanye West, Pastelle, Fall 2009. 023 Tommy Hilfiger Fall 2010 lookbook. 024 Pendleton meets Opening Ceremony Fall 2010 lookbook. 025 Prairie sunset. 026 Mark Segal, 'Going Places' editorial, T Magazine, Fall 2010. 027 Front cover 'American Roads' magazine. 028 Brigitte Bardot Skiing. 029 Mac Cosmetics 'A Tartan Tale' Promo shot. 030. Indian Spice Market. 031 Gisele, Vogue France, November 2005. 032 Heather Locklear 1980s photoshoot. 032 Mark Segal photo shoot. 033 Photo from 'According to the Rolling Stones. 034 Mark Segal, 'Going Places' editorial, T Magazine, Fall 2010. 035 Alexander McQueen and Sarah Jessica Parker. 036 Mark Segal, 'Going Places' editorial, T Magazine, Fall 2010. 037 Vintage Woodstock photo. 038 Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs. 039 Ugly Betty still. 040 Pendleton meets Opening Ceremony Fall 2010 lookbook. 041 Where The Wild Things Are movie still. 042 Mark Segal, 'Going Places' editorial, T Magazine, Fall 2010. 043 The Gorge Ampitheatre Festival.
Long post. So I'm finishing now, although I couldn't resist a little nod to Valentines just because this Higgidy Pie was too cute:










































