bingo republic

Thought I'd do a post just to distract me from wishful thinking myself to the Christopher Kane show. Since it's suddenly raining cats and dogs outside I plan to not leave the confines of the house today. Hot vimto and 'The story of Edgar Sawtelle' by David Wroblewski are on standby whilst I bide my time till the Burberry live stream. I've been loving House of Holland's A/W 2011 video short these past few days. I tried to embed it but it doesn't seem to want to work, so you can watch it here. Henry Holland never fails to make fashion fun, he's always been such a trend setter. First the slogan tees phenomenon and now the whole world is going crazy for his tights and hold ups! Who doesn't have a pair?! I love how cheeky Henry Holland is and I must have retweeted him well over a 100 times, he's always coming out with some witty observation or over-excited musing. Plus my love for him is probably only propelled by the fact he's from Lancashire - my homeland! This video has the feel of vintage shopping channels, bingo halls and garden parties on acid, with crochet, revamped tweed and yet more white tights (this time embellished with bingo balls) all making an appearance!






In 2009 Henry Holland cited Beverly Hills, 90210 as the inspiration behind his Spring 2009 collection, this Fall it appears as if the cult classic 'Slums of Beverly Hills' has been the inspiration, with Henry Holland's collection echoing the rust and maroon palettes of the costumes; whilst his video campaign mirrors the humour and coming - of - age feel of the Beverly Hills film.


The ironic 70s - 80s feel instantly reminded me of Electric Youth - the up and coming Toronto duo as opposed to the Debbie Gibson album their name is derivative of. Their single 'Faces' is below and is totally a tune you could imagine accompanying Henry Holland's catwalk shows.



I also had to go digging around the depths of the internet as soon as I saw the Henry Holland film as to me it had a synonymous feel and attitude to a Mila Jovovich shoot for Singapore's Harpers Bazaar. Ultimately the pictures allude to a plasticised, robotic society a la Stepford Wives; with the setting of the diner providing a fun and frisky undercurrent. After all we've been sexing up John Hughes films long before Kelis' 'Milshake' video appeared. 




The result of Henry Holland's video, The Slums of Beverly Hills, Electric Youth's track and Mila Jovovich's shoot is an ironic, pun ridden, fun vintage vibe. They all offer the perfect escapism on a rainy day. In the midst of all the craziness and drama of Fashion week and the pervasive English cold it's good to be reminded fashion should be fun.