Electric Cool

So I'm currently getting in the Glastonbury mind set. Reserving sleep, packing my supersized backpack (1 - people are going to laugh at me when I'm switching trains in Birmingham and 2 - I have to do a post on this and its contents because it's quite amusing), boring over clash times and stocking up on alcohol. I've also been making Glastonbury playlists, they're super duper long so I've kind of made a streamlined eclectic mix here that has a bit of a R&B, indie and dance vibe. I hope it kind of pulls together.


'Born to Run' - Bruce Springsteen: With the death of Clarence Clemons hanging over the music world this week I thought it was only fitting to open the playlist with some free spirited, releasing and momentous Bruce Springsteen. A track lifted from the album of the same name, it is a song filled of hope, opportunism, potential and expectation. It's pure old fashioned rock and roll. It's kind of exactly what Glastonbury is all about. So Clarence Clemons, the big man, sax genius, this one's for you!

'Rolling Stone' - The Weeknd: I can't stop listening to The Weeknd aka Abel Tesfaye at the moment, everything about him is just so perfect, the self released debut album 'House of Balloons' released in March this year is as extraordinary as the online buzz around him. Think Frank Ocean, Jamie xx, Active Child and Ghostpoet on this hauntingly atmospheric track, that at times borders even on creepy. The track is bare, letting Abel's vocals lead, with sparse guitar strings and echoes providing an eerie touch. This track gives me goosebumps at the moment. 

'Life Is Life' - Noah And The Whale: Because I can't make a festival playlist and not put Noah And The Whale on it at the moment. I've rhapsodised about them enough on this blog, although I probably never will stop fangirling, 'Last Night On Earth' has this uplifting Summery feel to it. Listening to the album you really feel like that whatever you have going on in your life will be OK by the time the tenth track plays out. Although FYI Michael Eavis it is totally not OK that Noah And The Whale clash with Friendly Fires at Glastonbury! SOB!

'Goshen' - Beirut: Possibly an odd choice for an upbeat festival playlist, but Glastonbury is all encompassing, all eclectic and I think that's why I love it so much. My music tastes are entirely bizarre, one minute I can be wanting to listen to dubstep, the next I'm craving an indie fix. Beirut have that lilting, emotional, stripped down, moving lyrics that I love so much pegged down to a tee on 'Goshen.' Think King Creosote and Jon Hopkins - I know I'm obsessed! But I am phenomenally excited for their forthcoming new album release.

'New Ceremony' - Dry The River: One of the bands I'm ridiculously excited for seeing at Glastonbury, every single one of Dry The River's tracks blows me away. Their songs take you on a journey, they have a depth and insight about them that sets them apart from the many guitar driven indie bands around. 'New Ceremony' is so perfect for a festival too; basking in the sunshine, cup of cider in hand, Dr Martens on (was that a sneaky clue of a purchase I made today - I think so!) - please Mr Weather Man can this little dream come true?!

'Original Of The Species' - U2: I couldn't make a Glastonbury playlist and not put U2 on it, as much as I love my small indie bands and my beat driven DJ's I just have such a soft spot for Bono, The Edge, Adam and Larry. I've seen them a multitude of times with my Dad, they're kind of our special band and they're just stunning live. I love that the last time they performed at Glastonbury was early in the 80s too - what a long way both Glastonbury and U2 have come since then! This is one of my favourite U2 songs of recent years and it has some amazing memories attached to it which I guess is what festival songs are all about.

'Hearts On Fire' - Cut Copy: And going back to the 80s, there's Cut Copy, a Melbourne based synthpop band that are just so fun, frivolous and bang on the 80s new wave comeback trend. This song makes me want to colour block, don the Raybans and dance like Ferris Bueller in the blazing sun. This is a track from their 2007 EP but with recent performances at Ultra in Miami and Indie Fest in Puerto Rica this year they're the perfect Summer listening.

'Helena Beat' - Foster The People: If the sun's blazing this weekend I'm expecting to see a huge crowd manically dancing around Foster The People; some possibly even doing Greg James' bum dance! Foster The People are just blasting one infectious, Summer, dance driven track out after another and if any act can get you dancing this Summer it's this Californian fivesome!

'Sunlight' - Bag Raiders: Oh my how I love Bag Raiders at the moment! They're a fairly recent discovery but I defy anybody to watch the video for this track and not have a huge smile on their face when it's over. This is so what I'm going to be playing as I'm on my way down to Glastonbury. Bag Raiders are a duo originating from Sydney, which may explain the Summery upbeat feel to all their tracks. It's sure to have you singing along in no time.

'Crazy In Love' - Beyonce & Jay Z: How could I not?! Beyonce may appear a slightly bizarre choice for Glastonbury, but if any female vocalist can pull it off it's Beyonce. Thousands of people dancing away to this is just going to be the perfect closing to an amazing weekend. Hello perfect feel good, move throwing record!

'Austere' - The Joy Formidable: After missing the majority of The Joy Formidable's set at Radio One's Big Weekend I'm hoping to catch them at Glastonbury, I've heard they're amazing live and 'Austere' has that anthemic powerful aura about it. The Joy Formidable have had a lot of hype - everything from the "best Welsh act ever" to the "best pop act to emerge in years," with 'The Big Roar' I think they lived up to their hype, with Ritzy Bryan adding superb vocals to punk driven guitar solos from Rhydian.

'Up and Down' - Chad Valley: Oxford originating Hugo Manuel has hit the spot perfectly with 'Up and Down' fusing together moody beats with disco drives, creating a Hot Chip meets The xx upbeat but entirely cool track. It's a hipsters dream, but with shimmering synths, drum crashes and laidback vocals it could also easily be that track that becomes the soundtrack for all televised festival commercials.

'Church' - Nadastrom vs Heartbreak: This was Annie Mac's free record on Music Monday today, so if you fancy grabbing a copy of a LA produced James Blake meets Nina Simone sample download it now. As Annie Mac says it's dreamy festival material, and James Blake is definitely a festival must see.

'Take It Back' - Toddla T (2 Bears Remix): Thought I'd hypothetically kill two bears (sorry couldn't resist) birds, with one stone and combine two Glastonbury acts I'm excited for in one song. Toddla T's 'Take It Back' has that synthy Summery feel about it, whilst with 2 Bears at the helm the song becomes the perfect late night dance track. Roll on the raves!

'Rolling In The Deep' - Adele (Villa Remix): I still am unsure why Adele never approved this track as it's gorgeous sunny day listening and it definitely has a festival feel about it. I can't wait to finally see Adele live in October.

'Let Me Go' - Maverick Sabre (Shy FX & Benny Page Remix): Loving this remix, Shy FX is on a roll with his alternative dance driven remixes lately after lending his hand to Ed Sheeran's 'The A Team' and Plan B's 'She Said.' I love remixes such as these for late night festival shenanigans.

'Bounce' - Calvin Harris Ft Kelis: This track seems to come at me every time I switch on MTV at the moment, every time I turn on the radio and tons of DJs seemed to drop it at Parklife. Hearing Kelis perform it was a brilliant moment the other weekend and it totally has all the makings of a Summer anthem. With Kelis providing flawless, catchy vocals and Calvin Harris leading the way with addictive bouncy beats and hooks. 

'We Love Animals' - Soulwax: Another one of those tracks that conjures up all those amazing festival memories. From Soulwax's gig at Ibiza Rocks at the start of my season in Ibiza last year to 2ManyDJ's dropping this in their set at Parklife this weekend I've come to associate this track with a whole tentful of memories and moments. This track has an almighty build up and an epic drop that has everybody dancing like loonies - usually from behind shades!

'Kids' - MGMT (Soulwax Remix): I'm pretty sure playing two reworks by the same artist in a row is a rookie playlist mistake but nothing captures all those festival feelings like this track does. Who hasn't been sat on a train or bus back from a festival and heard the crescendo of people humming 'Kids' after a night of revelry?! This riff will forever embody my Summers. I can't wait to hear which DJ drops it at Glastonbury - as somebody inevitably will!

'Constellations' - Darwin Deez (Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs Remix): Two of my obsessions intwined into one song - perfect! Knitwear and headdresses aplenty - an added bonus! Constellations is a superb remix by rising star Oliver Higginbottom, it has that erratic, eclectic feel that Jamie xx always captures so well whilst maintaining the fun, indie vibes of Darwin Deez. If you're in doubt of who to see at Glastonbury go see Darwin Deez - for their dance moves alone you will not be disappointed!

'Far Nearer' - Jamie xx: 'Far Nearer' is an ambient, Summer record complete with steel drums and mellow vibes that makes you wish you were on a beach somewhere, drinking rum based cocktails, possibly out of coconuts. Whilst that would be pretty dreamy right now, I'll happily swap flip flops and bikinis for dungarees and Hunters for a chance to hear this at the weekend!

'Living Like I Do' - Young Turks (SBTRKT Remix): I've heard reports of many Parklifers becoming keen SBTRKT fans after catching them at the Manchester festival last week, for one of the most hyped bands of the Summer this is great news. 'Wildfire' is on a path of underground dominance, SBTRKT have demonstrated themselves to be so much more than a one hit wonder with a series of superb remixes, this track has all the right ingredients to be a great electric backing track for a weekend of festivities.

'The Look' - Metronomy (Ghostpoet Remix): Combining two more of my Glastonbury festival favourites into one with this track. The beautifully, every Summery, ever wistful Metronomy and the atmospheric, ghostly beautiful Ghostpoet. Both have more than one slot over the weekend so I'm hoping to catch them at some point. Ghostpoet adds another dimension to this track, making it take on a whole new more haunting meaning and take on a more late night vibe.

'Mardis Gras' - Drake, Kanye West, Andre 3000, Beyonce: Apologies for the rip quality since the track's taken off Drake's Mixtapes but I couldn't not include this track. There's not really much to say about it, it's pretty much perfect, but this track seems to have reached epic hype heights online due to the combination of such brilliant stars on a effortless sounding track that showcases all of their unique strengths beautifully.

'Dust' - Frank Ocean: Again, I'm sorry, it appears I can't make a mixtape without including a member of Odd Future. This track is smooth, Miami stylised synth. For hazy days, for those festival prepping tent moments, this is THE track. Or rather, the album as 'Nostalgia, Ultra' is brimming with soulful, stripped back, talent heavy tracks that make predrinking oh so cool. 

'Livin It Up' - Shwayze Ft Snoop Dogg: This track borders on the cheesy/cool line, teetering between being oh so right and oh so wrong, balancing on the edge of wonder and tragedy. Played at the right time and it's beautiful, dropped at the wrong time it could end in devastation. For those that can make it to sunrise this is the track, for those still chinking plastic cups at 9AM this soundtrack entirely fits the moment and probably lyrically summarises exactly how you're feeling.

'Flashing Lights' - Kanye West: I SO NEED A BIG CHILL TICKET! Now I totally get that Kanye West is Marmite personified; people either adore him or detest him. Personally, I'm one of those people that believes he can do no wrong, a modern day musical genius. 'Flashing Lights' is another memory track, but it still maintains all those hip, gorgeous night time vibes. 

'Heaven' - Emeli Sande: I think I said everything that needs to be said in my post on Saturday. This Summer is her stage; her album will undoubtedly be the soundtrack to a stream of festival moments, especially 'Heaven' with its Jamie xx stripped back beat styles and powerful hooks from the talented Emeli herself. I wouldn't be surprised if she was main stage Glastonbury 2014.

'I Deserve It' - Cocknbullkid: Thought I'd close with one of my Glastonbury favourites. Recently appearing on Style The Nation and adored by Radio One DJ's Cocknbullkid adorned in flowers and with a melodic voice and catchy lyrics is one to catch at Glastonbury. I don't think you can listen to her and not fall in love honestly. Swoon.