fairy tale

I am ridiculously excited for tomorrow, listening to Fearne Cotton's Radio One coverage from outside Buckingham Palace really isn't helping either! All week I've been playing this, watching this and downloading this. I made my first batch of monogrammed cupcakes yesterday and in the next 24 hours there's going to be bunting, scones, cucumber sandwiches and Pimms galore. So perfect. Wedding rumours are everywhere - love that Ellie Goulding is apparently singing at the reception, an Elton John 'Your Song' duet would be just so dreamy, and I love watching the American news coverage - the CNN weather reporters seem very concerned it might rain! And I am loving all these supposed sightings of Sarah Burton! Eeeek!

David Starkey has put forth the motion that many of the British Royal weddings have been foremost for romance, perhaps most evident by the Duke of Windsor's wedding to Wallis Simpson. After all the Duke abdicated from the throne in 1936 for "the woman I love." Starkey has also said the wedding of Wills and Kate is a perfect demonstration of the fluidity of the class system within the present day. Their wedding signifies not only a union of love, but demonstrates a transcendence of social constraints. Who hasn't heard of their university love story?! Of course everyone's main excitement is who Kate will wear, how shiny will her hair be, what will the guests be wearing, will Prince Philip behave himself, and did Kate really choose the flowers or did garden loving Prince Charles have his say?! 

I'm already setting a 5AM alarm for Sky coverage starting at 6. Obsessed I know. I think I'm so excited because it's the first major Royal Wedding I've been alive for and after all it is a huge historical event. So I thought I'd do a little look back at Royal Wedding dresses past. Mostly because they're all so classic and romantic. 


Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. 1840.


Wedding of Prince Albert and Lady Elizabeth Bowes - Lyon. 1923.


Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip. 1947.


Princess Margaret and Antony Armstrong - Jones. 1960. 


Princess Anne and Captain Mark Phillips. 1973


Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer. 1981.


Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson. 1986.

Whilst Princess Anne's floaty 70s dress and Diana's 25ft train appear lifted from right out of a fairytale I have to admit my favourite Royal Wedding dresses will always go to the constantly stylish Monaco royals. 


Prince Rainier and Grace Kelly. 1956. 


Princess Caroline and Phillipe Junot. 1978.

Are you excited for the Royal Wedding?! How are you spending the day off work?! Whatever you're doing I hope you enjoy yourselves and the big question - WHO DO YOU THINK KATE WILL WEAR?!