Days like today should be filled with sandwiches with the crusts cut off, pretty floral tea dresses, daisy chain headbands, the smell of BBQ's and freshly cut grass, drinks in cartons with little straws, a heavy book that eventually hurts your hands, oversized sunglasses that hide your face, juicy fruit that makes a terrible mess when you try to eat it, a stranger playing guitar that gathers a congregation around him, chasing butterflies, doing the buttercup "do you like butter?" test on everybody you meet, spinning round and round and round to make yourself dizzy, analysing cloud shapes, clothes with grass stains, blowing dandelions and watching the seeds disperse and fly with the breeze, seeing the sun melt into hues of pink and blue, dinner on paper plates, wine in plastic cups, fairy lights at twilight, falling down from a tree because you've had a bit too much to drink, lazy puppies and running away from bees.
I've been thinking of places I want to go and things I want to do of late. Although every time I find myself making a list, the list just grows and grows, till it's even longer than the first one! It's March now, which means I turn twenty this month, something I'm really not looking forward to. I liked using the excuse of being a teenager to get away with things! I guess I'm just feeling as if I haven't achieved nearly as much as I wanted to in two decades. One of the first ambitions I ever remember writing down was to write a novel and get it published before I was 18. I think I was about 11 at the time and obviously seriously underestimated just how hard that would be! Right now all I really want to do is travel the world, I'm hoping this time next year I will have made it to Miami for the Winter Music Conference and Ultra Festival. I'm a big music fan, as has probably become clear through this blog and I've been dreaming of going for years... so pretty memorable 21st! I think I just really need to start working on who, what and where I want to be in life. All the thoughts of travel and memories got me thinking of Rob Ryan's paper art which is always so cute and whimsical. I'm a massive paper art fan, some of my personal favourites include Yulia Brodskaya and Brian Dettmer, so it's probably something that'll reappear on the blog. It's fascinating to see how different artists use a material everybody uses and discards every single day.
The words on this Rob Ryan's picture also reminded me of Kalle Gustafsson's series of photos entitled 'Storia d'Amore.' They're a year old now so a lot of readers may have seen them floating around before, but I think they're just such a gorgeous series of photos that you can look at them countless numbers of times and feel something different about them every time. The location for starters is just beautiful, it's this sort of thing that I just want to explore. The world's such a large place; there's so much beauty to see.
There's a film version of the story too, that you can watch here. The soundtrack is actually perfect for a Spring sort of day like today. I've started reading The Pillars of the Earth today, I have a thing that when I start reading I get a sort of book hunger and just have to read one book after another. It's insatiable. Immediately after putting one down I have to pick up another. So there may be a post on The Story of Edgar Sawtelle coming soon (the book I've just finished), but a lot of you seemed to really enjoy the last book post anyway. Plus, with it taking place in Midwestern America it fits quite well with the Prairie trend seen at Rodarte and the uniform but multifaceted youth that was conveyed at Meadham Kirchhoff. So I'm hoping to get halfway through Follett's novel by the end of tonight, it's another one I'm speed reading just because it's so popular I'm bound to learn the plot soon! Hope you all have a lovely evening.








